Saturday, November 8, 2014

Meditation





Many people wonder how to meditate on God's Word. I have a favorite method that really works for me. I take a verse, or part of a verse, and I meditate on and stress one word at a time. This way, the value of the verse sinks into the very depths of my soul. For instance, look at Psalm 23:1 - capitalized words are emphasized.

THE Lord
The LORD is
The Lord IS my shepherd
The Lord is MY shepherd
The Lord is my SHEPHERD
The Lord is my shepherd, I SHALL NOT
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not WANT.

This does not change the meaning of the verse, but it puts the emphasis on a different word each time. This process grasps my soul to its very core, as the truth of each word infiltrates every cell in my body and its truth reverberates through my entire being! This method also helps me to memorize the verse a little at a time, because I clearly see each and every word.

Try it again with Psalm 104:1 -
BLESS the Lord,
Bless THE Lord
Bless the LORD
Bless the Lord, O my SOUL.
Bless the Lord, O my soul. O LORD my God
Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord MY God
Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord, My GOD
Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord, My God, YOU are
Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord, My God, You ARE
Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord, My God, You are VERY great
Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord, My God, You are very GREAT.

Prayer:
Father God, remind us to hide Your Word in our heart, so that we will not sin against You (Psalm 119:11). Meditating on Your Word encourages our soul, which gives life to our body (Psalm 43:5; Romans 8:11). Help us to fall asleep every night, deliberating on Your Words that we have hidden in our heart. Cause us to hear Your loving kindness in the morning, for we put all of our trust in You; help us to know the right way to live, as we lift up our soul to You (Psalm 143:8).

Thought for the Day:
I look forward to the night watches, so that I can meditate on God's Word. - Psalm 119:148