Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Relationship of Love

Image result for free nature


In my early years with the Lord, I worked hard so that God would love me. In my human relationships, I had to earn love; so I thought I had to earn His love too. 
 
I wanted to meet His expectations and to make Him happy with me. I tried desperately to earn His approval, not realizing that I already had it through Christ in me.

It took me ten years to learn that He already loved me, even when I was still lost in sin and prior to me ever surrendering my life to Him (Romans 5:8; Genesis 2:17).

His love is a free gift (Romans 6:23). He is not interested in our human efforts. We prove our love to Him by our obedience to His Word and His Spirit, as well as our faith in His faithfulness (John 14:15).

He will allow our best human endeavors to fail, simply to teach us to trust in Him and to follow His Spirit each moment of the day. He wants absolute control over our thoughts, words and actions.

God is not looking for puppets with no will of our own. He wants dedicated servants with no agenda of our own. He does not need our energy and efficiency, but our submission and adoration (Isaiah 31:1).

We cannot earn favor with God. He gives it to us voluntarily as His endowment to His children. God's Spirit leads us in a victorious life of fulfillment, joy and blessings.

We bring God glory, honor and praises with a life dedicated to His Kingdom. He works in and through us as we empty our soul of earthly attachments and goals, lay down idols which cause negative emotions and surrender our life to His love.

Jesus loves us with our Father's love; and we can trust in His love to meet all of our needs according to His glorious riches (Philippians 4:19; John 15:9). We abide in Him as the branch on the Vine (John 15:5).

Prayer:
Father God, remind us to speak to You in prayer, focus on Your will, meditate on Your Word and walk in Your Spirit. We delight in You and we thank You for leading us in Your way (Isaiah 30:21). Jesus is the only way, truth and life (John 14:6). Let people see Christ in us and to desire the same relationship of love that we enjoy.

Help us to imitate Your character, to adopt Your perspective on life and to abide in Christ each moment of our day. Remind us to persist in prayer, because of the spiritual forces of darkness, which come against the fulfillment of our requests (Daniel 10:1-13).

Thought for the Day:
Our relationship with Christ is not about our works, or we could take pride in it; but has everything to do with Christ's finished work on Calvary's cross. 
- Ephesians 2:8-9; John 19:30