Thursday, December 24, 2015

Healing from Trauma - Part 1



 



Trauma in our life, starting with the birthing process, takes a toll on our soul. There is nothing we can do to stop suffering from happening, except not to take unnecessary chances.

Yet, life still manages to knock us down time and again. Over the years, I experienced my fair share of distress. I learned to pull myself up by my bootstraps and carry on in spite of them.

I fancied myself as an invincible Molly Brown, who is one of the famous survivors of the Titanic catastrophe. I fiercely fought any foreseeable force, which tried to upset my equilibrium.

No matter how high the tide rose around me, I never let my head sink below the surface of the water. A time or two, the thought occurred to me that I should just let go and float with the current.

My soul was not prepared to do that, however; because I still had enough emotional and physical strength left to protect myself. Then, the love of my life decided, after 22 years of marriage, that there was no option for us, but divorce.

I had no education, few job skills and no alimony. The straps on my boots were totally worn off. I was too tired from the waves of life to tread water any longer. I finally reached the point in my life where my only recourse was to let go and let God.

I laid back and floated with the current, watching as God moved mountains for me. He provided a place to live, several jobs to pay my bills, a new church family with recovery classes, and physical and emotional support from my children, parents, brothers and their families.

God taught me that there is never any need for anxiety and stress, because He is just a prayer away. We can let our needs be known with a thankful heart for all God already did in our life, and then look for the seed for a miracle within every trial (Philippians 4:4-7).

Prayer:
Father God, I am so sorrowful that I did not surrender to Your love and faithfulness when I was much younger. I would have spared myself so much anxiety and suffering from negative experiences and emotions. I am grateful that You never gave up on me, but continued to allow trials to come my way, so that I would eventually learn to let go and trust You.

Teach me to obey, so I will experience fewer trials as a result of my reliance on Your strength, rather than on my own. Remind me to walk in Your Spirit and make me effective for work in Your Kingdom.

Thought for the Day:
Surrender every area of life to the Creator of life and to the Author and Finisher of our faith. 
- Genesis 1:1; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 12:2