Friday, May 6, 2016

Faithful to the End

Free stock photo of sea, mountains, nature, sky



After suffering a cold last fall, I developed laryngitis, which held on for weeks after the cold healed. I adjusted my lifestyle to rest, drink plenty of fluids; but I kept on talking.

I gradually got used to the sound and the strain it caused to try to converse by pushing words past the "frog" in my throat. However, this badly strained my vocal cords.

I had to stop talking in order to allow the vocal cords to heal. One month transitioned into the next, but my raspy voice remained the same. For 10 weeks I wrote notes or sent emails instead of talking.

Week after week, I would heal just a bit; but then if I talked at all, I had to start the healing process all over again. I tried every product known to man to facilitate the process; but silence was the golden cure.

Once God finally healed my vocal cords, I did not recognize the sound of my normal voice. I was so used to the raspy condition that I rather missed that tone.

This reminded me of a season of time, which lasted for over a year, when we remodeled several parts of our former home. The chaos in which we lived gradually became normal; so when we restored our house to order, the order seemed abnormal.

This is the way sin creeps into our life too. We allow a small concession in our habits or lifestyle, which seems inconsequential at the time. Then we start to notice a big difference in our prayer life and unity with God's Spirit.

Yet, we adjust to allow the sin to remain. Over a series of months, the sin seems normal and we do not miss the deep union with the Trinity, or the power in our prayer life or the wisdom and flow of living in the Spirit that we once enjoyed (Ephesians 4:30; Isaiah 63:10; 1 Thessalonians 5:19).

When God's Spirit convicts us, we ignore Him and may even add a few more sins to our lifestyle, which complement the one we already allowed. Sin seems normal to us again, and holiness is forsaken.

Prayer:
Father God, never allow sin to feel normal to us. Keep us from searing our conscious or from consenting to allowing even more sin to develop in our lifestyle (1 Timothy 4:2). Keep us focused on You and never permit us to compromise our union with You through the deceitfulness of sin (Hebrews 3:13).

Create in us a pure heart, O God, and renew a holy and righteous spirit within us. Do not cast us from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from us; restore to us the joy of our salvation and help us to please You in all that we think, say and do (Psalm 51:10).

Thought for the Day:
If we remain true to God's Word and promises to the end of our life on this earth, trusting God as faithfully as when we first believed, we will also share with Christ in the inheritance of all that belongs to God's Kingdom. - Hebrews 3:14