Tuesday, May 3, 2016

One More Time Again



love, romantic, flowers

The other day, after hearing a loud thud, I went into the bedroom to find my husband flat on his face in a tiny space between the chair and the bed. I prayed about what to do, but felt total peace.

My initial reaction was to say, "Well, Beloved, you have gotten yourself into quite a pickle." He was virtually squeezed between the furniture and I was amazed at how he could have gotten into that small space.

I rubbed his back, but could not tell if he was dead or alive. The words of John Denver's song flitted through my mind, "I always thought that I'd see you one more time again."

I wondered if my Heavenly Daddy took His Saint home to be with Him. I internally prepared myself for a new chapter of life and continued to pray about what to do.

"Home alone" was not a state of being that I looked forward to experiencing a second time. I lost one husband when he decided there was no option for us but divorce; and now the husband that God gave me to care for and cherish me was flat on his face on the bedroom floor.

Hearing my voice, my comatose giant stirred and I immediately asked, "Beloved, should I call 911? Are you hurting any place…head, heart?"

His weak response was, "My knee is really hurting me right now."

A knee…well, that did not sound very ominous. I inquired, "May I help you up, or would you like to rest there a few more moments?" As if being squeezed between two pieces of furniture could be comfortable.

"No, I need to get up" was his sweet reply. Helping him to a standing position, I supported his considerable weight on my small frame, but I did not mind. He was still ALIVE.

We staggered over to the side of the bed for him to sit down. He immediately began rehashing what had happened in the last 10 minutes. 

"I woke up with a start from a cramp in my leg and jumped up to work it out. Then, instead of sitting on the edge of the bed to allow the blood to flow into my head, I went to the bathroom.

"As I stood there, I got lightheaded and broke out into a cold sweat. The next thing I remember, I heard a loud thud and I lost consciousness until I heard your sweet voice talking to me."

"How did you fall into that tiny, carpeted space between the furniture?"

"It had to be the Lord, because I could have broken bones, gotten a black eye or hit my head on some piece of furniture or the tiled bathroom floor; but when I fainted, He had me free fall right into the only clear, carpeted space available."

We both shook our heads in wonder and silently praised God for His Fatherly care of His child. "Since I just popped out of bed when my leg cramped, I guess I should have sat down and let the blood into my head before going to the bathroom."

We stared at one another over the miracle we both just witnessed. Our awesome God cared for His beloved Saint through every second of that ordeal, which could have left me a widow.

I greatly rejoiced and clung to my husband and cried. He wrapped his arm around me as he always does and snuggled me into my favorite place in the whole world…firmly protected in the circle of his love with my head resting peacefully on his muscled chest.

Prayer:
Father God, since we are loved by You, I know from experience that losing a mate does not hurt nearly as much as one would anticipate. You walk with us - in us - through every step of the rocky road of recovery. You work out everything to our advantage and You provide for all of our needs: physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally and financially. As an authentic Believer, we experience every trial as a grand adventure in You with new people, places, ministries and purposes.

We still have anxiety which attempts to derail our faith, but You give us constant 'hugs' throughout the day to remind us that You are in us and living this experience in union with us. We still grieve our losses, but the tears are healing to our soul. Remind us not to take life for granted. Thank You for Your love and mercy in this case, by allowing me to actually see my beloved husband one more time again.

Thought for the Day:
As we completely surrender our heart to God in prayer, and relinquish our hold on unholy thoughts, words and deeds, we will not be ashamed or anxious, but confident and full of His courage. - Job 11:13-15