Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cure for Discouragement - Part 2


 
(Please first read yesterday's post: "Cure for Discouragement – Part 1")

King David expressed his heart-felt thoughts and emotions in his Psalms. We see in many of them that he begins by describing his feelings of utter fear, defeat and hopelessness. As he works through the issues that are plaguing him, putting on paper the deepest griefs and attitudes in his heart, the Holy Spirit ministers to his spirit. David usually ends all of his psalms with words of encouragement and solace that he finds both through God’s Spirit and in the encouragement of God’s Word (1 Samuel 30:6). 

We can follow David’s example in our life. Get a big, fat notebook from the department store, and a pen in your favorite color of ink and size for your hand. Open the clean white pages of the notebook that are poised and waiting for you to fill them with the thoughts and emotions, which are weighing down your soul – your mind, will and emotions. Describe in detail all of the issues in your life that depress, annoy, frustrate and anger you. Use uncensored words and allow your soul to unburden itself on the pristine pages of your notebook. Let the words flow from your heart freely and exactly as you feel them. Fill the pages of your notebook with everything that burdens your mind and emotions.

Once you finish writing, you can reread what you wrote. You may be surprised to see exactly what it is that is bothering you. Pray about each issue and ask God for courage to take care of the issues you are able to fix, and the wisdom to leave the rest of them in His capable hands. Then, you can remove the pages from the notebook, and put them in an empty can. Take the can outside and drop a lit match on the pages. Then imagine the smoke rising from the can as your spirit’s prayer to God to work all these troubles and trials out for your good (Romans 8:28).

God does not turn a deaf ear when we feel depressed or discouraged. Many people have deep pits of prolonged depression. I know one Pastor that used to pray something to the effect of, “Lord, I am going to be the best depressed person You have ever created. Then, when You are ready for me to stop being depressed, You will lift me up and encourage me.”

God is in us and walks with us through all of the hard and dark places in our life. He will show us, as He did King David, the way through each dark valley and over every steep mountain we encounter. We only need to ask Him to show us the way, to bring us His Word of encouragement and to fill us through all of our being with His fullness and unfailing love (Ephesians 3:19, Amplified).

Prayer:
Father God, King David did not waver through unbelief regarding Your promises, but was strengthened in his faith. He always gave all the glory to You (Romans 4:20). You are my rock, my fortress and my deliverer in whom I take refuge. You are my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold (Psalm 18:2). Deliver me from the oppression of life, and from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel. You are my hope, Sovereign LORD. I put my confidence in You, ever since my youth (Psalm 71:4-5).

Thought for the Day:
Wait for the LORD. Be strong, be encouraged and wait for the LORD.
- Psalm 27:14