Sunday, November 22, 2015

Intimate Love








I used to think that romance movies were fairy tales and that no human being was capable of sustaining that much love. I was mistaken. My husband is like that and so much more, even after 20 years of marriage.

Yes, he does have too much on his mind sometimes and is preoccupied and neglectful. Yet, when he hugs me, there is warmth and nurturing in each caress; when he talks to me, he looks into my eyes.

He gives me focused attention every day, listens to me when I get his full attention first and loves me more than he loves himself (Ephesians 5:28-29). He also loves God more than he loves me, which is as it should be.

When he thinks of me throughout the day, he does or says something thoughtful and romantic. When he forgets, I snuggle with him in his big chair and he is always so welcoming and glad to see me.

He appreciates everything I do for him and does not take me for granted. He cherishes my company and is thankful for my devotion to him.

Yet, his love for me cannot complete me. Only Christ is capable of that amount of intimacy (Colossians 2:10). Jesus lives inside of us, and there is no human relationship, which is that close.

God knows us better than we know our own self (Psalm 139). He fulfills us better than any person ever could. He gives us His abundant life now and for eternity (John 10:10). Our love is first and foremost for Him alone (Matthew 22:37-40).

When God comes to dwell in our spirit at salvation, He never, ever leaves or forsakes us (Hebrews 13:5). A human being may change their mind about us and abandon us, but God never will.

God desires that we focus our attention on Him. So much so, that He actually feels jealous when we attempt to replace Him in our affections with another person, place, animal or thing (Exodus 34:14). He wants our undivided devotion.

God understands us and provides for our needs before we even realize we have them. A personal, intimate relationship with God through Christ by the Holy Spirit is the most fulfilling connection we can ever experience.

Prayer:
Father God, when we realize our need for You and confess our sins to You, You forgive us completely. In fact, You love us unconditionally, even while we are still sinners (2 Corinthians 5:21; Matthew 27:1-66; Romans 5:8). Thank You for renewing our human mind and giving us spiritual ears to discern Your voice (John 10:27-29; Romans 12:2). 

Thank You for putting us in Your Body to give us caring, nurturing people who will cherish us like You do (Psalm 133:1). Yet, remind us to talk to You as our best friend, and to prove our love to You by keeping Your commandments (John 14:15, 23; 1 Peter 5:6-8).

Thank You also for giving us rest for our tired soul and loving us so sacrificially (Matt 11:28-30; John 3:16-17; Psalm 51:12-14). When we abide in Your presence as a branch on the vine, we enjoy Your intimate love each moment of our day (John 15:1-17).

Thought for the Day:
Developing an intimate personal relationship requires our time and attention; so, we cannot allow anything to rob us of our time with God, who is the most devoted lover of our soul. 
- Isaiah 38:17