Friday, September 7, 2012

From Turmoil to Transformation

Read: Leviticus 20:7-8

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” - Romans 15:13
 

When I started my quest for intimacy with God, I had so much turmoil within me and around me that I could not hear the Spirit of God. Clutter held my spirit and soul in bondage. I had to learn to regulate my thoughts and emotions, to journal the inner clutter until I could hear from God. I also had to totally surrender my spirit to the Spirit of God.

We receive the Holy Spirit into our lives when we receive Jesus as our Savior. Romans 8:9 makes it clear that if we do not have the Spirit of Christ dwelling within us, then we are not God’s child! The peace and joy of the Holy Spirit sustains us through adversity and increases our natural and spiritual blessings. Isaiah 55:12 promises, “You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.”

Have you ever really thought about what it means to have the Holy Spirit of God indwelling you? You have all of the power of the entire Godhead residing within your spirit. Every attribute that is in God the Father and Jesus the Son reside in us through the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is also our Comforter (John 14:26), our Guide (Galatians 5:16), and our ever-present Helper in time of need (Psalm 46:1). No matter what circumstance we face, the Holy Spirit within us has the power to meet it victoriously. However, a problem occurs when we do not take the time to listen to Him!  

As Christians, we have two sets of ears. First, we have our physical ears, which we can train to hear much more than the surface sounds in the immediate area around us. We can learn to hear the ticking of the clock in a crowded room, the chirping of a bird amidst the roar of a waterfall, the buzzing of a bee over the whir of a lawn mower. Train your physical ears to hear and enjoy every sound around you in God’s glorious world.

The most important ears we train, however, are our inner spiritual ears. The Gospels and Revelation are full of verses that speak mysteries from God, and are accompanied by a verse like the one in Matthew 11:15, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!” In this verse, God is not referring to our physical ears. He is referring to our spiritual, inner ears.

Have you ever taken the time to listen to the Holy Spirit within you with your spiritual ears? Take a few moments right now and concentrate on the fact that the Holy Spirit lives within you. Go to a quiet place, fold your hands, close your eyes, and bow your head. Focus your entire physical and spiritual attention on the Holy Spirit within you. Listen with your inner spiritual ears. Go ahead! Sit quietly and listen. Do not stop before You hear from Him….give it some time.

Did you hear Him speak, or are your thoughts too cluttered with the natural cares of this world? I can totally relate, because mine were too. I also had to learn the discipline of having a place for everything I owned and keeping everything in its place. This cut down on the amount of clutter in and around me. If I did not have a place to put it, I did not buy it! It also made cleaning simple, since there was a shelf, drawer or closet to put everything that was out of place at the moment.

Make some time in your schedule to clean up the outer clutter in your life. Then make a habit of sitting quietly with your notebook. Begin writing out everything that comes to your mind. Keep writing until you are empty of all the peripheral clutter and negative thoughts and attitudes in your soul. Let the Holy Spirit transform your thoughts to those of Christ (Romans 12:2). Let His mind be in you (Philippians 2:5-11). Then, start listening to the Holy Spirit within you and doing His will for your life. You will never regret it.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, my life is so full of clutter…inner and outer clutter. Help me to simplify my life until every moment is filled only with Your will for me. Give me the strength to cut out all the sins in my life and to live a holy life as You command (1 Peter 1:16). Help me to walk away from shopaholic sprees and to buy only that which will fit in one of my closets, drawers or shelves. Then, help me to keep everything in its place. This way I can walk in inner and outer peace and more readily hear Your Spirit directing me throughout my day. 

Thought for the Day:
God’s presence in our life makes everything more intensely beautiful.