Thursday, September 6, 2012

Harvesting Fruit


Read: 1 Corinthians 12:12-31


“We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” Romans 15:1


While traveling in the ministry with my family, I saw a farmer using a sickle to reap his grain. Then, a few more miles up the road, I noticed a young man using a sledgehammer to break rocks into smaller pieces. The scenes echoed in my mind and I knew God illuminated them to me for a reason. That evening during my quiet time, He showed me why. In my relationships I had a choice to either use a hammer or a sickle in connecting to people.

If I choose a hammer to pound out of others the characteristics I preferred not to see them exhibit, I risked the chance of smashing the tiny gem that God is creating within them. If I pound them over the head with scripture and insist that they walk according to my preferences, then I could discourage them from obeying God in the area in which He is directing them to change.

For instance, if their smoking habit bothers me, then I could focus on helping them to quit smoking. When all along, God was more interested in helping them to break free of a more harmful addiction, for example to illegal drugs or alcohol. I could ruin my friendship with that person, as well as thwarting God’s timing in their life, by insisting that they quit smoking.

So, instead, God wants me to choose to use a sickle in helping people to break free from their bondage to sin. In this way, I allow God to use me to reap the fruit He creates in people by harvesting their strengths as He deals with their weaknesses. I can encourage them to listen to God’s Spirit as He convicts them, to rely on His Word as their spiritual power and to pray with them and hold them accountable to walk in the way in which God is directing them.

God has combined the members of His Body and has given greater honor to the people who lack honor, so that there should be no division in the Body. In this way each part of the Body has equal concern for each other part. If one part suffers, every part suffers with him/her; if one part is honored, we all rejoice (1 Corinthians 12:25-26).  God uses our individual knowledge and experiences to help others and to make us all complete (Luke 22:32). In this way, we learn from one another, depend upon each other and spur one another on to love and good works (Hebrews 10:24), which benefits the whole Body.  

When we exhort one another, we come to each other’s aid and help. We bring comfort and encouragement to one another. In exhorting, our conversation is very gracious, seasoned with prayer; so that God will inspire our words (Colossians 4:6).  We encourage one another and build each other up, rather than dictating to one another or tearing one another down with condescension and self-righteous correction (1 Thessalonians 5:11).

Some people will reject our spiritual admonition. This means they are not yet ripe enough in their hearts to receive the Word of God. If this happens, back away and give that brother or sister time to reflect upon what you shared with them. Pray for them. Do not push them into making some sort of commitment, because they may not be sincere. Once we’ve swept their spiritual “house”, if they do not fill it full of God’s Word and righteous living, then their prior demons will return and bring seven other spirits more wicked than itself (Luke 11: 24-26). God’s Spirit is available to anyone willing to overcome sin in their life, but we all have to make our own commitment to avail our self of His power and anointing.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, help me to walk in your Word and to be prepared to share it with others at Your direction. Help me to correct, admonish, and encourage Your people in the way that You would have them to go. Allow me to do this with the greatest of patience in my instruction (2 Timothy 4:2). Let my words be seasoned with salt, which will preserve their faith and ultimately their life.

Thought for the Day:
Every healthy part of God’s Body keeps us all healthy, growing and full of love.