Monday, September 17, 2012

Growing in Faith

Do you ever question God’s reasons for the events in your life? Do you ever wonder if God is angry with you, or if you quenched the Spirit in your life? The accounts in the book of Psalms are full of men crying out to God in times of distress.


"I cry out to God; yes, I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for his help. You don’t let me sleep. I am too distressed even to pray” (Psalm 77: 1-4, NLV).

Their words allow us to see that we are not alone, but that others over the ages felt as we do now. They also show us how other people question God’s reasoning for the agony in their lives, and that God always responds to them with kindness and love. Their poetic words often express our exact sentiments and give us hope.

“I think of the good old days, long since ended, when my nights were filled with joyful songs. I search my soul and ponder the difference now (Psalm 77: 1-4, NLV). The writer thinks of times in the past, much as we do, when we compare our present affliction with the glory of yesteryears. We wonder what happened for God to turn His back on us.

The author even questions God’s motives for his current situation. "Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?" (Psalm 77:7-9 NLV)

Questions such as these are on our lips as well. Cries of despair such as these come from someone who truly knows the ways of the Lord, because they always turn to exclamations of praise to God for His faithfulness. “But then I recall all you have done, O Lord! I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago. They are constantly in my thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works. O God, your ways are holy. Is there any god as mighty as you? You are the God of great wonders! You demonstrate your awesome power among the nations. By your strong arm, you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph” (Psalm 77:11-15 NLV).

All of the psalmists intimately knew the faithfulness of God in their lives. Our Heavenly Father saw them through every moment of trial and blessing alike. They had no doubt that God would hear their prayers for help, and that He would also faithfully answer their questions. The psalmists all showed their willingness to learn from their suffering and to move toward faith in God’s wisdom and purpose for everything He allowed in their lives. We can draw comfort from their grief and learn from their faith. We also join them in rejoicing as we grow in faith.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, I often have times where I do not understand the trials and grief that shroud my life. I call out to You during these times with honest questions and a grieving heart. You always answer me and show me how these situations are working out for my good, according to Your will. You also teach me how to use each condition for my benefit. You teach me things I otherwise would never learn. You give me the strength to endure suffering and to look to You for grace to rejoice in them as Paul did. You flood my soul with Your peace, which goes beyond my human understanding.

Thought for the Day:
In our darkest hour, God works the greatest miracle.