Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Avoiding Temptation

Read: Hebrews 10:35-38

And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. - 1 John 2:17 (NKJV)

I have seen a pattern in my life when it comes to sin. The more I give in to temptation, the stronger the temptation is the next time it comes. I shut out the warning of my conscience and soon I can no longer hear from God at all. My sin separates me from Him and causes my resistance against sin to diminish. I also lose my peace and joy, and God no longer experiences any pleasure in my actions.

However, when I focus on the fact that Jesus already won the victory over sin and death (1 Corinthians 15: 56-57), I have stronger will power to resist the temptation in the first place. The Holy Spirit is always ready to empower me to break the cycle of sin and to walk in God’s Righteousness (Philippians 2:13). He helps me to remember the promises of God and to trust Him to provide me with everything I need to live successfully. I never want to become so accustomed to sin that I consider it normal behavior.

Prayer:
Lord, give me Your eyes to judge between right and wrong, so that I never lose the joy of being in Your presence.

Thought for the Day:
Jesus walked in sinless perfection, and He abides in me.