Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Reason for Christ's Body


Read: Exodus 18:18-27

You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone.” Exodus 18:18

“I am only one person. I cannot do more than one thing at a time.”


If I had a dollar for every time I uttered this comment, I would top Forbes list of the richest people on earth. Sometimes, though, human beings find it hard to ask for help. We do not want to bother anyone. We want to stand on our own two feet. Sometimes, we even get discouraged that we even have a need.

The longer we wait to ask for help, the more the need grows. Then, we struggle with negative emotions, such as impatience and anger, because our focus is on our need and interruptions are an irritation.

Over the years as a Pastor’s wife, I learned to follow Jethro’s advice in my life too. I ask for help from those who are wiser, smarter and more gifted in an area than I am. I not only lighten my burden, but I also provide a blessing for others, since they now feel useful and needed.

God put us all in a Body for a reason. We need one another, and we need Christ as the Head of our Body. With each one doing our part, we can walk in harmony and peace, which passes all human understanding.

Prayer:
Lord, help me to see that no one is an island and that there is no shame in asking for help.

Thought for the Day:
Effective performance is not accomplished as productively by one person’s labor, as it is by a team effort.