Friday, October 14, 2011

The Lily in My Deep Valleys

Read: Psalm 18:2-6


“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” - Philippians 4:6-7

Wise Solomon, who had more wives than I can count, said in Proverbs 21:9 “It is better to live in the corner of an attic than with a crabby woman in a lovely home.” (TLB) He should know...he lived in a palace! 

From his vast experience, Solomon often compared different types of wives. “A wise woman builds her house; a foolish woman tears hers down with her own hands.” (Proverbs 14:1) “A worthy wife is her husband’s joy and crown; a shameful wife saps his strength.” (Proverbs 12:4) 

My former husband acused me of tearing down my house with my own hands. In the unstable financial, emotional and sometimes physical environment he provided for me and my three children, fear and insecurity often overwhelmed me. I over-reacted when something disturbed the well-planned order, which I used to insulate myself from a world that sometimes really, really scared me. 

Over the years, God taught me how to trust HIM, instead of people or circumstances, especially when I am afraid. Proverbs 31:26 advises us to open our mouth with wisdom, and on our tongue to have the law of kindness. I am learning to get all the facts and to think before reacting. This way I can give a lucid response with a loving attitude. Do I still slip now and then? Oh yeah! But, I'm mellowing with age. 

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, sometimes I still shiver with fear when circumstances spin out of control. You are my Rock, my Sword and my Shield. You are the lily in my deep valleys. You are my bright and morning star.

Thought for the Day:
When life flies at me with blinding speed, I am learning to duck…
behind the Rock.