Friday, August 3, 2012

He Loved Me First

Read: 1 John 4:18-21


“What great nation ever had their gods as near to them as the Lord our God is near to us whenever we pray to him?” – Deuteronomy 4:7



Our love for God comes as a result of Him first loving us (1 John 4:18-21). We can trust and not be afraid, because the Lord is both our strength and our song. He is our salvation now and forever (Isaiah 12:1-3). God showed us His love by giving us eternal life in Jesus Christ, His Son (1 John 5:11).

We can be assured that He is listening when we talk to Him to make our requests known to Him (Jeremiah 33:3). We can have confidence that He will always answer our prayers (1 John 5:6-15). Overwhelming victory is now ours through Christ who loved us enough to die for us, and nothing can ever separate us from His love (Rom 8:37-39). I believe God when He tells me that He loves us dearly, because I feel and see His love in so many ways throughout the events of my life.

We can rejoice when we run into problems and trials (James 1: 2), for we know that He is working them out for our good (Romans 8:28). We feel His warm love within us, no matter who we are or where we are, because God has given us His Holy Spirit to fill our hearts (Romans 5:5). This causes me to confidently and joyfully look forward to surrendering my life to Him and to allowing Him to mold me into being all He created me to be. His Spirit replaces all of my negative personality traits with the fruit of His Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, meekness, self-control and faith (Galatians 5:22-23).

With God’s love in our life, we have no need to entertain any fears, anxieties nor insecurities, because even if the world blows up, and the mountains tremble and crumble into the sea, and the oceans roar and foam, He is always within us (Psalm 46:1-3). We lie down and sleep in peace and awaken safely, for the Lord watches over us (Psalm 23).

If enemies surround us or circumstance crash down around us, we do not need to be afraid (Psalm 3:6). We merely need to cry out to Him, and He will come to our rescue (Psalm 3:5-7). When troubles come, He hides us and sets us upon a high rock out of harms way (Psalm 27:4-6). God is our refuge and strength, a sure help in any time of trouble (Psalm 46:1).

We can expect God to act on our behalf; because we have so many reasons to praise Him for all that He has already done, is doing and will do for us, in us and through us. He is our help and our mighty God (Psalm 42:11). He never leaves us nor forsakes us (Hebrews 13:5). He who began a good work within us, will keep right on helping us to grow in His grace until His work within us is finally finished on that day when He returns to claim His bride (Philippians 1:6).

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, I spend every day of my life delighting in Your incomparable provision and guidance for me. I bring You my body as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1) and I totally surrender my life to you. I sing your praises with joy in my heart. I am sure that You love me; I know this for certain (John 3:16-18). When You come to claim Your bride, I will be like You, as a result of my seeing You as You are (1 John 3:2). I have full assurance of my place in Your Kingdom now and always, because of Your sacrifice on the cross for me (John 3: 16-18).

Thought for the Day:
No one shows greater love than when he lays down his life for his friends. - John 15:13