Thursday, August 2, 2012

Freedom from Fear



Read: Romans 8:35-39


It is better to trust the Lord than to put confidence in men. It is better to take refuge in Him than in the mightiest king!” - Psalm 118:8-9


One day I realized that worry continually disturbed my peace and joy! The unknown entities of life filled my soul with endless stress and debilitating fear.

I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat, holding my breath, fearing some potential catastrophe that probably would never happen! I tried to carefully control life, in order to keep myself safe. I resisted relinquishing all of my cares to God, fearful that He could not take care of me.

My fears stemmed from believing that something might happen to hurt me. I had every right to feel this way. Life had hurt me…over and over again. I failed to remember, however, that God turned every one of those hurts into blessings for me. I also did not recall that I could do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13), and that I am more than a conqueror through Jesus within me (Romans 8:37).

One more thing I forgot is that I can never be separated from God’s love, which is all I really need to survive in this life. The Apostle Paul learned that “neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing could separate us from God’s love in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8: 35-39). 

As I prayed about fear, God taught me that at the moment when I recognize anxious thoughts disturbing my soul, I need to write my concerns on a piece of paper and put them in a heart-shaped box. Then, when circumstances rekindle that fear, I can remember, “I do not need to worry about this. I already put this concern in the ‘Heart of God.’”

When we courageously accumulate a history of overcoming struggles, we gain the strength to face our current adversity with faith. As we watch God turn our trials into triumphs, we actually lose our fear of the future and start looking for the seed of His miracle within each hardship.

Jesus told us that we are not sufficient by ourselves. He is the vine and we are the branches. He said that if we abide in Him and He abides in us, we will bear much fruit (John 15:4). Our sufficiency is from God alone (2 Corinthians 3:5-6). Our lifeline during negative circumstances comes from remembering that our enemies and negative circumstances will never triumph over us (Psalm 25:2).

As we are led by His Spirit moment by moment throughout the day, continually giving praise for each good thing He provides, and breathing deeply from the depths of our being, we gain the assurance that all of our circumstances do work out for our ultimate good (Romans 8:28). It is better to trust the Lord than to put our confidence in ourselves or in others (Psalm 20:7).

This does not insinuate that we make no effort in the situation, nor does it imply that we fail to ask other people for help when we need it. It does indicate, however, that we pray first, asking God to give us His wisdom and strength to accomplish all that He gives us to do. Relying on God is better than depending on the most powerful person in the world! - Psalm 118:8-9

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, the next time I get between a rock and a hard place, remind me not to be discouraged or upset. Help my unbelief and give me the courage to expect You to act. We have plenty of reasons to praise You for all that You do and will do for us. You are our help. You are our God (Psalm 42:11). I put my trust in You.

Thought for the Day:
Fear not, because God is with you. - Isaiah 41:10.