Thursday, August 23, 2012

Perfect Plans

Read: 2 Kings 18:11-12

“We live by faith, not by sight.” – 2 Corinthians 5:7

I used to apply human reasoning to all of my decisions, but often found myself regretting my choices. Reading God’s Word taught me that He had a perfect plan for my life. It also instructed me to learn to follow the peace of God, because His wisdom surpasses all human comprehension and guards our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7). If we take the time to listen, God gives us spiritual ears to hear God’s plans and purpose for our lives (Matthew 11:15). We can follow the Holy Spirit’s guidance in our thoughts, words and deeds; and, therefore, live in total serenity (Romans 6: 11-14).

As I practiced hearing God’s voice, I continued to second-guess His directions. I often fell back onto conventional wisdom rather than walking in blind faith. I had “ears to hear”, but I failed to truly listen to and trust in the guidance of God’s Holy Spirit (Colossians 1:27). I heard His still, small voice (1 Kings 19:12), but doubted what I heard. I often ended up disobeying. Then I regretted my failure to make the most of the opportunity God presented to me, and I struggled with self-pity and condemnation (John 3:3; Ephesians 4:1; Philippians 1:27).

I grieved the Holy Spirit by my disobedience and lack of faith and I had to repent and ask for God’s forgiveness (Ephesians 4:30; 1 John 1:9). When I considered the Biblical saints, I realize that some of them struggled with this too. They knew what to do but often disobeyed God, reaping the negative consequences of their actions. Yet there were other saints who dared to believe and obey the Spirit’s direction. They trusted God and their names are printed in the Hall of Faith in the eleventh chapter of Hebrews.

These saints allowed the fruit of God’s Spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23) to dwell in their hearts and they exhibited the Godly Character of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, meekness, self-control and faith in their everyday lives. People could tell there was something different about them. They lived lives of gratitude and praise (Ephesians 5: 18-20; Colossians 3:16). The Spirit of God led them each moment of the day (Romans 8:14). I decided that I wanted to be counted among these authentic believers. Therefore, I determined to walk in the Spirit moment by moment as well.

One aspect of “walking in the Spirit” is to follow God’s Spirit as He transforms our mind into the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16). The Spirit helps us to crucify our fleshly desires (Galatians 5:24) and to make us humble servants of the Most High God. Now, I pay attention to God’s voice on a moment-by-moment basis. I follow His still, small voice (1 Kings 19:12) and find direction, answers to my questions, and more ministry than I ever dreamed possible. My greatest joy will come when I stand before my Creator and I hear His joyful words, “Well done, my good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:23).

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, I want to walk in Your perfect will for my life. Help me to walk to the end of my path of light and to take that next step into the darkness in obedience to Your direction. Help me to walk by faith and not by sight (Colossians 2:5). Continue to transform my soul with the fruit of Your Spirit. Give me the tongue of the learned, so I will know the words to share that will sustain the weary. Awaken me morning by morning; awaken my spiritual ear to hear as one who learns from You (Isaiah 50:4).

Thought for the Day:
Authentic Christians live by believing the impossible is possible, rather than by believing only what we comprehend with our human senses (Philippians 4:13).