Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Pampered Life





A visiting woman to our congregation said to me, "It is quite obvious that you have lived a pampered life." I was amazed that she would say that, but realized that since she does not know me, she was basing her assumption on the peace of God filling every cell in my body, soul and spirit - His peace, which transcends human understanding and shines from the inside out for all to see.

Through every trial, every physical infirmity and abuse, every physical and emotional rejection (1 Timothy 5:8; Malachi 2:14), and every moment of insecurity and fear through which I have lived, I have become a person who clings to and relies on Jesus Christ for my very life. I have not had a pampered life in the natural, but I can honestly agree with her that my Heavenly Father spoils me rotten.

Of course, many people endure hardships much greater than I have, and rise from them to live positive, productive lives without Christ; although, they are never completely fulfilled, because their spirit is still dead in sin. I owe the person that I am today to the sanctifying work of Christ in my life (Philippians 3:8). There is no good thing in me or in my character that did not come from God (Romans 7:18).

God replaced my melancholy personality with the fruit of His Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23); He taught me through experience that every trial is a seed for a miracle, which He will work out for my good (Romans 8:28); and He gave me the courage to trust in Him during times of abuse, abandonment and discouragement.

He showed me that my true identity is in Christ and not in my human personality and abilities (Colossians 1:27); He reminded me that we do not have to earn love, salvation or sanctification, because they are all free gifts from Him (Galatians 3:1-3); and twenty years ago, He gave me a wonderful husband who loves God more than he loves me, and loves me more than he loves himself. All things considered, I really am living a very pampered life!

Prayer:
Father God, I am humbled by Your love in my life. I am so glad that I have eternity to continue to sing praises to You for all that You have done, are doing and promise to do for me. Thank You for never leaving or forsaking me (Hebrews 13:5), and for teaching me to trust You in the good times and the bad, because You always turn everything around for my good (Romans 8:28). You shower me with blessings and prove to me all through the day that I am the apple of Your eye (Psalm 17:8; Zechariah 2:8) and that you cherish me as Your unique child (1 Peter 2:9). Help my testimony of Your goodness in my life to bring many to a saving knowledge of Your love in their life as well.

Thought for the Day:
God's presence in our life delights our soul - our thoughts, choices and feelings; heals our body; nurtures our spirit through each and every day that we dwell on this earth; and finally receives us unto Himself when we pass from this life to dwell in eternity with Him forever. - John 5:24