Saturday, July 10, 2021

Alone Time with God

Pink and White Flowers in Green Ceramic Vase 

 

I reached a point in my life where my husband moved his office from our home to the church’s building at which he pastored, and my youngest of three children went to school. I was all alone for the first time in my life, and I felt disoriented and at a loss of what to do with myself.

 

After a few days of seeking God for His will for me, I felt led to sit quietly in His presence and wait on Him. He eventually directed me to sit in the center of our king-size bed. On the brightly colored flower sheets, I wrote line after line of thoughts that I emptied from my conscious mind onto my notepad.

 

After a few months of spending half a dozen hours every day alone with God, I realized that I was neglecting my housework and my ministries to the church. I hesitated to discontinue this constant vigil, because I didn’t want to lose the deep serenity I found there; but life’s reality stared me in the face. 

 

As I sought God about this matter, He cleared up my hesitation with this truth: After we discover our communion table deep within, we do not have to stay in a physically quiet place in order to remain there. A private room is sometimes necessary to connect with God’s Spirit, but not to stay connected. 

 

God is still God in the ordinary events of our lives. His Word charges us to sing and to make constant melody in our heart to Him (Ephesians 5:19; Psalm 100:4; Hebrews 4:16). This habit makes our heavy load of daily chores lighter, and our soul (our thoughts, emotions, and choices) brighter and more secure (Philippians 4:8).

 

Prayer:

Father God, lead us to minister to people and to allow our self to be ministered to by people according to Your timely schedule. In the center of Your will, we find our emotional, as well as our spiritual fulfillment. Remind us that serving others is a guaranteed prescription for our emotional, spiritual, mental, and, therefore, physical wellbeing. 

 

Teach us that changes are inevitable in this fluid world in which we live, but that You are the same, yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). As we keep our focus on You, even during the difficult days, Your peace – which surpasses all human understanding (Philippians 4:7) – will guide us to fulfill Your purposes for us through every blessing and every trial. We give You all the praise and glory for Your eternal watch care over our life (Psalm 139:2).

 

Thought for the Day:

In the center of God’s will for us each day, we will exercise when God leads us to, in the manner in which we need to exercise, as well as to eat and drink food that promotes a healthy body; we will watch and listen to edifying material that blesses our soul; we receive spiritual fulfillment by His presence within us, by what He leads us to read during our devotion times, and by the church to which He directs us to make a covenant and to serve.