Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Living Through Grief

Have you ever felt the effects of grief in your life? Have you experienced the feelings of denial, bargaining, depression, anger, betrayal and abandonment that come with grief? I have felt this way more than once. I am sure you have as well.
Through these experiences, I found that in a time of loss, the greatest comfort we receive comes from clinging to God for consolation and provision. God in His wisdom answers our prayers according to His will, not according to our wishes. He sees the finished project. He knows what is best for our lives. Even when we double over with the emotional or physical pain caused by our circumstances, and we doubt God’s love and wisdom, He is working all things out for our good (Romans 8:28). He has only our blessings in mind, even though it does not appear like that at the moment. 

God promises in Jeremiah 29:11-13 (TLB), “For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. You will find me when you seek me, if you look for me in earnest.”

Paul reminds us in 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 (TLB), “May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting comfort and hope, which we do not deserve, comfort your hearts with all comfort, and help you in every good thing you say and do.”

God will use this time of recovery to bring good things into your life. Besides your grief, you may also feel intense anger toward your mate, parent, child or God whom you trusted. This is a normal. Your anger is part of your recovery. Anger at God is proof that you still believe in Him. That is a good sign. You may feel debilitating depression with no hope of recovery. You may feel intense fear of the future with no prospects and no peace.

I want to encourage you to keep a journal during this time. Write out all of your uncensored thoughts and feelings as they come to mind. This is very therapeutic and brings you relief to the depths of your soul – your mind, will and emotions. It keeps track of your journey. You may even use it to write a best seller someday!

Stay active and spend time with others. Fill your days with joy that lightens your grief. Find something to look forward to each day. This will help you to face the sunrise without fear and remorse. Adopt a pet to give you companionship and a reason to get out of bed. In serving others in their grief, you will also lighten your own load. Do not be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of all of your tomorrows for you. Live one day at a time, one moment at a time, and give yourself permission to feel the joy of the Lord (Matthew 6:34).

Give God all of your worries and cares, because He always watches out for everything that concerns you. Trust the Lord; and remember that other Christians all around the world are going through circumstances similar to yours (1 Peter 5:6-9). Tears wash away our grief, so never prevent your self from indulging in a good cry. Always remember, “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning” (Psalm 30:5).

Prayer:
Lord God, whoever dwells in You will find shelter and rest in the shadow of the Almighty God. You are my refuge and my fortress. You are my God, in whom I trust. God of mercy, Who saves us, I no longer fear the terrors and dark of night, the arrow that flies by day, the plagues or the evil pestilence that may come near my house. I completely trust in Your love, Your provision and Your will for my life. - Psalm 91

Thought for the Day:
I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. - Psalm 121:1-2