Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tiny Tea Cups

Read: Philippians 4: 11-13

“Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” – 1 Chronicles 4:10

While browsing in a bookstore, I saw a painting of a fairy sitting in a tiny teacup! This reminded me that as young Christians, our cup is very tiny. Few people can share in its refreshment. However, the Lord expands our cup so that others may come to drink of that which God invests in us (Psalm 23:5). This realization made me very nervous and insecure because of the changes about to take place in my life.

When God enlarges our territory, we apprehensively watch our tiny world breaking out of its comfortable mold. We tremble with concern as the unknown replaces the familiar. “What if”-questions storm our thoughts. Having to rearrange our life to fit these new circumstances and obligations into our routine causes extra concentration and planning. As we prioritize, we have to say “No” to some of the responsibilities we once accepted. This risks hurting people’s feelings or causing them to be disappointed in us.

After years of walking in God’s protection, however, I am learning to find contentment in His wisdom and to trust in His providence. Godliness with contentment brings great gain (1 Timothy 6:6). God proves repeatedly that He is able to make all grace abound to me; so that in all things, at all times, having everything I need supplied by His generous hand, I will abound in every area of my life (2 Corinthians 9:8). With this contentment, I also have the comfort of knowing without a doubt that God will never leave me or forsake me (Hebrews 13:5).

As God cleanses us from carnality, He chooses to use us as an instrument for His noble purpose (2 Timothy 2:21). He makes us holy and fruitful in our service to Him (2 Corinthians 9:8). He is able to do immeasurably more through us than we can ask or imagine because of His power that is working in us (Ephesians 3:20).

Many blessing come to us, to our family and to those in our sphere of influence, because of what God invests in us (Isaiah 50:4). He makes us servants of His gospel by the gift of His grace and the working of His power in us and through us (Ephesians 3:7). His joy is always our strength in meager times as well as in prosperous ones (Nehemiah 8:10).

Prayer:
Father God, Your awesome power astounds us, Your mercy and grace amaze us and Your forgiveness humbles us. Thank You for using us as Your servants to spread Your Word and Your Kingdom to the ends of the earth. Bless us and keep us and let Your face shine upon us now and always (Numbers 6:25).

Thought for the Day:
The Lord is able to turn bread and water into toast and tea for His Saints.