Monday, January 21, 2013

The Quest for Love and Acceptance

Jesus Christ Pic with a child

“Even if my father and mother should desert me, you will take care of me.” – Psalm 27:10

In 1954, my baby brother made his debut into our family. At the advanced age of 3 years, I did not share in my parents’ joy. To start with, he came on MY birthday! Needless to say, I did not get the appropriate attention on that day…my parents were otherwise preoccupied. My mom was in the hospital for several days and I was not allowed to see her. I felt lost and alone without her as my security. I stayed with relatives who tried to make me eat spinach…YUCK!

They even put me in the broom closet under the stairway, because I was naughty. It was dark in there, and I cried. Equally as bad, however, was the fact that I did not get any dessert, since I did not eat my spinach. My whole life followed suit to this scenario with two more brothers coming along. Of course, my memories may be more vivid and painful than reality, but this feeling that my needs did not matter stayed with me as I grew up.

To top this off, my mom was emotionally distant and my dad had a hair-trigger temper, due to deficiencies in their childhood. I contemplated suicide many times as a teenager, because of the painful reality of my unpopularity at school and my troubled home life. Eventually, I gravitated toward other students who shared a similar social status with me. After that, I never lacked for friends. As my ugly duckling persona developed into a swan, my popularity in my circle of friends grew. I dated every weekend and I went to more than one senior prom.

I still felt less than whole, however. I had a hole in my heart that ached. I thought I needed my parents’ acceptance; however, one fateful day I discovered the real solution in my quest for love. A vivacious redhead in my yearbook class introduced me to her new best friend, Jesus Christ. In Christ, I discovered the joy of being a child of God. I relished the concept of a Father's grace, patience and unconditional love, which I had never known.

God moved into my life and everything changed. I found acceptance for my idiosyncrasies and supernatural direction for my lack of talent. I experienced forgiveness for all of my sins. God has mercy and compassion on whomever He chooses; and thankfully, He chose me (Romans 9:11-16). I no longer had to earn love, because my Heavenly Daddy gave it to me as a free gift (Ephesians 2:8-10).

God promised never to leave me alone and to do for me all that His Word promises (Genesis 28:15; Hebrews 13:5). This truth transformed my life. I no longer cowered in a corner, but stepped up to the plate and swung at every pitch the Lord lobbed my way. The shy, introverted girl within me still blossoms into an extrovert every time the Spirit of God commissions my services for His Kingdom’s work. In Jesus Christ, I found the greatest love of all time…Love that laid down His own life for me. 

Prayer:
Father God, in Your paradoxical economy, we gain by losing (Philippians 3:7-8), we save our life by dying daily to the old carnal nature (Matthew 10:39; Luke 17:33), we receive by giving with a joyful heart (Acts 20:35), we are exalted through humility (James 4:10), we find Your strength through our weaknesses (2 Corinthians 12:10) and we achieve freedom by serving (Romans 6:18). Thank You for giving us all the chance to live as members of Your family and to enjoy Your love, which never fails (1 Corinthians 13:1-8; Psalm 136).

Thought for the Day:
God will never leave us alone or forsake us, and His love never ends. – Deuteronomy 31:6