Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Counterfeit Lion



 
Coming from a passionate Italian family, I learned by example to express my distress by screaming in anger. However, since I was also born with a melancholy personality, I usually remain in the background, staying out of the limelight. My normally quiet demeanor gives people the impression that I am an easy target to abuse and manipulate. However, when I am backed into a corner by condemnation, condescension, neglect, false accusations, violence or control, I come out fighting with every ounce of the Italian Mafia in my blood.


I am not touting this trait as an asset, but as my faulty defense mechanism. I tolerate as much abuse as I can, and then I blow up at the way someone says something condescending, ignores my needs, demeans my character, or attempts to control my feelings and ultimately my actions. My former Pastor called these people “blessed stumbling blocks”. God is actually using this person to reveal to me an “idol” in my life that is preventing my unhindered worship to Him.

I knew that God saved me from sin, but I had no idea that He also saved me from sinners. Recently, I realized that if God ever allows a carnal person to back me into a corner, He is doing so in order for me to come out praising, instead of coming out yelling. Satan intends to thwart our spiritual growth by using these callous individuals as a tool; however, God proposes to use them to catapult us into a spiritual growth spurt. As we allow Christ to live through us in our response to them, He works His character into our nature.

We no longer need to defend our self by attacking that person with malicious words or actions. Now, when we recognize that Satan is using these carnal people as a tool against us, we can step back, take a deep breath and compliment them in some way. We can ask if they are having a bad day, inquire if they would like us to pray about something for them or if there is some way we can make their day better.

People will relate to us in the manner in which we allow them to treat us. If we allow abuse and a lack of courtesy, then we encourage others to continue to treat us in this unworthy manner. Rather than yell to get our point across, we can act in a firm, businesslike and resolute manner. Unless we are confined in jail, there is no circumstance under which we are to live like a doormat, martyr, enabler or false savior. We simply follow the leading of God’s Spirit and allow Christ to love these petty people through us.

Prayer:
Father God, Jesus is Your Lion of Judah; however, Satan, our enemy, lurks like a counterfeit lion, searching for someone to overwhelm (1 Peter 5:8). He uses carnal people to do his bidding. Help us to be alert and sober. Teach us to speak the truth in love and to express our anger without sinning or playing into Satan’s hands (Ephesians 4:25-27). You never intended for Your Saints to give Satan the advantage in our life by our over-reactions, our unforgiveness or our bitterness (Colossians 3:13; 2 Corinthians 2:10-11; 1 Peter 5:8). Help us to humble our self, to cast our hurt feelings on You, and to allow Your Spirit to direct our words and actions in Jesus’ name and for Your glory.

Thought for the Day:
No person is worth demeaning our self by allowing Satan to control our thoughts and behavior.