Tuesday, April 7, 2020

God's Spirit Transforms Our Personality

assorted flowers




I was born with a melancholy personality. With this temperament I inherited a very thoughtful, analytical, creative, respectful, non-aggressive persona who is very naively accepting, self-sacrificing to a fault, and very sensitive to the moods and needs of others.

I am a very loyal friend in spite of the distance or time between visits. I try to make everything perfect and everyone happy. I put myself second to everyone else, and I often neglect my own needs.

On the other hand, my natural inclination is to be very moody, irritable, insecure, fearful, claustrophobic, easily depressed, pessimistic, critical and suspicious. At times, I struggle with bitterness, I hold onto grudges, and I am often intolerant.

I need order and equilibrium in my life. I prefer making plans and I do not like surprises. I can do things on the spur of the moment, unless it threatens my security in some way. I am fussy over details, and I like to have a place for everything and to have everything in its place.

On top of all of these impediments, I grew up in a dysfunctional home. As a child, I allowed others to walk all over me. My Father’s volatile rage and my mother’s emotional distance kept me quiet as a mouse and just as fearful.

In my teenage years, however, I learned to protect myself by hiding behind anger. I started to stick up for myself; and when people would not take me seriously, I used anger to make them pay attention to what I needed. Of course, this did not work very well, because I ended up hurting people in the process.

When I called upon Jesus to save me in my 18th year of life, He moved in and spent the next several decades transforming who I am into who He is (Romans 8:29). Now, Christ in me is my hope of glory (Colossians 1:27). The Holy Spirit sanctifies all of us more and more over each moment throughout our life.

Each day we see less of who we are and more of who He is within us (John 3:30). Those who know me can attest to the fact that I would no longer be considered a melancholic person. This is because as I decrease, Christ increases within me (John 3:30).

Over the years of our walk with the Lord, the Holy Spirit slowly replaces in us the negative attributes of our personality with His spiritual fruit (Galatians 5:22-23). He uses our strengths for His glory, and He transforms our shortcomings.

He gives us:
love – affection for others
joy – exuberance about life
peace – serenity
patience – willingness to stick with it
gentleness – compassion from the heart
goodness – kindness that pervades our entire being meekness – humility and service
self-control – guided by the Holy Spirit
and faith – trust that God knows what He is doing.
(Galatians 2:20, 5:16; Romans 8:14)

God enlarges our comfort zone, and we can do anything according to His will, because He strengthens us to accomplish everything He calls us to do (Philippians 4:13). We no longer live for our self, but Christ is living in and through us (Galatians 2:20).

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank You for releasing us from the bondage of our personality. You make melancholy people joyful, choleric people peaceful, phlegmatic people industrious, and sanguine people focused. By Your Spirit You transform our lives into something beautiful.

You lead us each step of every day, and You fill us with the power and the desire to do Your will in every situation. We give You the praise, honor and glory for all of the successes in our life. Thank You for transforming our life from self-centered and self-seeking, to Christ-centered and God-seeking.

Thought for the Day:
We may still struggle with the negative characteristics of our personality - they are there, influencing how we feel and what we do; however, by the power of God's Spirit within us, they no longer control us, and we can easily put them aside and walk in the Spirit at any moment, in order to accomplish God’s will for our life.