Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Life-changing Ministry

palm tree near seashore




So often we put on a mask, a persona, and give a false impression to the rest of the world. We may do this on purpose, or without any conscious thought. We put up boundaries, and hide behind busyness in order to project an image that we have it "all together."

Yet, inside we are torn apart by a wounded soul full of negative thoughts, attitudes, and lies from the devil. Fear, anxiety, insecurity, resentment, self-doubt, etc. plague each step that we take. At times, we cannot relax, because we are holding our breath without realizing it.

God always sends the right people at the right time to speak His truth into our life. My former husband had a lightbulb go off in his head one day, and he said, "I understand now. You act and appear on the outside to be confident and assured, but inside you are a very fearful and insecure person."

Truth in its first form may feel false, so I had to think about that for a while. As the truth of his words sunk into my soul, however, a calm peace settled over me. Finally, someone unlocked the door of my soul and let me out.

I was so relieved that he finally understood my deepest need, and I hoped that he would help me to find my way out of the dark forest that I had lived in my whole life up to this point. Unfortunately, this never happened.

It merely caused him to feel more disdain for me, and it erected another wall between us until he finally saw no option for us but divorce. God did not give up on me, though. He sent our worship leader who taught me through God's Word that Christ lives within us.

Then He provided me with a new husband who recognized from the first day we met that fear and insecurity plagued my life. He reacted to me with devoted understanding. His unconditional love and devoted attention helped me to change the way I reacted to the world.

I gradually realized that I could truly trust God with my vulnerability, rather than to attempt to control my life to keep myself safe. Dread and uncertainty diminished as I hid under the shadow of His wing (Psalm 91:4). I learned to trust Him with my whole heart (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Thankfully, my new husband also encouraged me to go to a prayer counselor who helped me to access the lies from the devil that were the root of my fears and insecurities, and to discover God's personal truth for me about them, which set me on a path of serenity and fullness (Ephesians 3:16-19).

Prayer:
Father God, thank You for your divine appointments, and for making all things beautiful in Your way and time (Ecclesiastes 3:11). Your Spirit inspires our choices, behavior, and conversations; and You fill our days with Your mercy, love, peace, joy and grace. We find it easy to be vulnerable with You about our thoughts and feelings, because Your goodness humbles us and melts our heart.

You never give up on us, and You set us free with Your truth (John 8:36). We know that You have ultimate control of our life, and that we have no need to fear, because You are with us and in us (Colossians 1:27; Philippians 4:6). Your unconditional love fills the cracks in our life caused by both life's circumstances as well as the people who maintain influence over us. We give You all of the praise and worship due to Your name.

Thought for the Day:
When we relinquish our plans for our life, God's Spirit is able to direct our steps, and we find our self ministering to our self and others, and receiving ministry from others that is life-changing and eternal; God cares about every aspect of our body, soul and spirit.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23