Thursday, September 14, 2017

Parental Super Saints

Clear Body of Water Between Yellow and Green Leaved Trees

As children, we come to believe that our parents are super-sized. They are always there with ready advice, a tissue to wipe our tears and a new craft project or game to chase away boredom.

As we age, we start to notice that these super-Saints are human, and that they let us down more often than come to our rescue. This disillusionment with them colors much of the rest of our life, unless we grant them the same grace and forgiveness that we want them to bestow on us.

We have no idea how hectic our parents' lives really are, how many obligations are on their shoulders and how diverse their responsibility really is until we are old enough to "walk a mile" in their shoes.

In our younger years, we judge them on how well they meet our needs. Of course, they are the only parents we have, unless our grandparents are equally involved in our life; so it is normal to expect them to be present with us and for us all of the time.

As parents, we allow the incessant drum of our daily to-do list to distract us from breathing deeply, entering God's rest and enjoying each moment of time as He provides it for us.

We forget that our children are only with us for a few years, but the mountain of dishes in the sink, the footprints on the floor and the laundry piling up in the baskets will still be there tomorrow.

I am so glad that the Lord taught me this lesson while my children were very young. Like my mother, I made sure that I was home to greet them every day when they came home from school. God even gave me four years to homeschool them as we traveled the interstates crisscrossing the eastern USA.

We always made time to watch their sports team's valiant efforts to win championships; to participate in their Scouting activities even when we traveled; and to take them out individually for a milkshake and a chat when their behavior clued us in that something was really bothering them, or when they had a victory that they wanted to share with us.

I cherish those memories and I am grateful that God and my husband allowed me to be a "stay at home" mom all of those years. This allowed me the opportunity to consistently be available to listen to their unhurried worries, concerns and triumphs.

Prayer:
Father God, even as an adult, pregnant with my firstborn, I wanted my Mommy first and foremost. Although she had an emotionally distant personality, she always knew how to let me know that nothing in her life was more important to her than my needs, and the necessities of my three little brothers. Thank You for allowing me to pass on this tradition to my children as well.

Please, use this post to convict or to encourage other parents to give their children focused attention and to let the to-do list wait until tomorrow if necessary.

Remind us that getting our children involved in completing those incessant chores gives all of us a sense of community and camaraderie, and allows our children to realize that they are needed and appreciated at home.

Thought for the Day:
Glib and hurried words or gifts have no real meaning; but when we give the gift of our focused attention, this makes a lasting impression on the ones we love.