Monday, May 10, 2021

Help my Unbelief

Pink Petaled Flowers 



 

One of my favorite Biblical passages is Romans 5:3-5: “Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.” I often pray this little verse during my trials. People tell me that they wish they had as much faith in our Father God as I do; however, God’s blessings come to me not due to my efforts, but according to His mercy (Ephesians 2:8-9). 

 

My spirit believes, but my soul – my thoughts, emotions and choices nag me with unbelief. I preach a sermon to myself, write a Biblical post for my blog, read God’s Word, pray and praise until His peace once again floods my soul, or just journal my feelings until my spirit and soul are on the same page. 

 

The faith of Christ, who abides within me, joins my mustard seed faith, and God accomplishes great feats on my behalf. As human beings, we are weak; but Jesus in us is strong (2 Corinthians 12:10). Bad things do happen to good people. Life hurts us all. 

 

However, God is working out everything for our eventual good (Romans 8:28). Even the most horrific negative circumstance, which strikes unfathomable fear in our heart, is in God’s ultimate control. 

 

Like a bird pecking its way out of an egg, a butterfly fighting to free itself from a chrysalis, a mother’s pain in childbirth, etc. … our struggle in trials makes us stronger and teaches us to trust God with our whole heart, not just part of it. Like nature, our faith grows, and we mature spiritually with each struggle that we face.

 

Mankind forfeited our dominion over the earth, as well as our blessings, provided to us by God in the Paradise where He originally created for us to abide. Adam and Eve gave away their control to Satan in their unbelief (John 3:18), and sinful practices became the new norm in our society.

 

Thoughts which are good, like adherence to Biblical Truth, is considered as immature, hate crimes, and a crutch. When a preacher shares the unaltered Word of God, confirmed by archeological finds over the years, he/she faces the criticism, ostracism, rejection, and even jail time for his audacity to preach in spirit and in truth (John 4:24).

 

Paul admonishes us to look at trails with a joyful heart (James 1:2). I agree with him, because each one is just another time in which our Father God can prove to us that He is in us, with us, and surrounding us with His love, protection, guidance, and refuge.

 

Prayer:

Father God, we all deserve hell for eternity, but in Your mercy and grace, You came to earth as our Emmanuel to save us from what we merit by our iniquity. Your love for us is one of the good and perfect gifts that You pour down on all Your Saints. You often change the negative circumstances in our life, but You are not obligated to alter them.

 

Bad things happen to us when we fail to walk in Your Spirit, when wounded people inflict us with their own pain, and when You allow issues to arise in our life to cause us to run under the shelter of Your wings and to trust You with the outcome (Psalm 91). You actually invite us to call on You in our day of trouble. You are worthy of all our praise (Psalm 18:2-49).

 

Thought for the Day:

God is our fortress, our refuge, our shield in battle, and the horn of our salvation, and He walks in us and with us every moment of every day as He protects us and provides for us; His tender mercies are new for us every morning if we call on Him, trust Him with our whole heart, and realize that He always has our best interest in His mind at all times.

- James 5:11; Romans 8;28; Psalm 34:19