Sunday, December 25, 2011

Blessing or Cursing

Read: Number 14:18-24

5 “For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.” - Exodus 20:5-6, NKJV

When I first read Exodus 20:5, I was hurt to the core. I could not understand how a loving God would curse three or four future generations for the evil behavior of one person. I collapsed on the couch and cried out to God for understanding, trying not to feel too angry at the injustice I saw here.

In His sweet, loving way the Lord said, “Hey, Kathy…read the next verse.”

WOW…He shows mercy to 1,000s of generations of those who love Him and keep His commandments. I love that ratio: one to a thousand as compared to one to four. As a just and holy God He must hold us accountable for our choices and behavior. The expected consequences of our actions would naturally affect future generations. Think about it. If a young father goes to jail, his children run the risk of feeling rejected, abandoned, hopeless and helpless, with the possibility of following in his footsteps.

Loving the Lord and keeping His commandments does not necessarily guarantee that our children will follow in His precepts as well; but the chances are much higher. The wonderful thing about this law of generations is that even if our children do not honor the Lord, they are still blessed, because of our decision to trust God with our life. Even our future progeny reap the advantageous blessings that God bestows on thousands of generations that come after us.

This caused me to realize the awesome responsibility that we carry as parents. Our behavior absolutely affects future generations. It is the law of reaping and sowing. I had to take stock of my thoughts, words and actions - to make sure they line up with God’s standards.

I find great comfort now in the fact that He shows mercy to many more generations than He holds accountable. We can assure the success of our children and their children’s children for generations to come by making Jesus our Lord and living according to His precepts (Mt 7:21). In this way, we pass down mercy and blessings, rather than cursing and suffering to our descendants.

PRAYER:
Thank You for Your mercy, Lord, in the face of Your justice. Mold me into Your image and give me both the desire and the power to walk in Your will (Philippians 2: 13).

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
A God who is only merciful, presents just one side of the coin.