Friday, December 23, 2011

A Joy-filled Life

Read: Hebrews 12:1-11

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." - Philippians 4:9

There are so many depressing events in our lives today. It is very hard to have peace and joy on a daily basis. That is why I love to read Paul's letter to the Philippians. I am encouraged by so many of his words.

Look at just a few:
  • "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion" (1:6).
  • “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (I:21)
  • “For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose” (2:13).
  • “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection” (3:10).
  • “Forgetting what lies behind and pressing toward what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal" (3:13-14).
  • Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” (4:6).
  • “The God of peace will be with you” (4:9).
  • "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" (4:13).
Paul suffered more persecution than I will probably ever experience; yet, he found contentment in the midst of it all. He lived one day at a time. He kept His focus on Jesus rather than on his circumstances. He learned contentment in every situation. He trusted God as his supply and strength.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, never let me live as just a hearer of Your Word, but help me to practice Your precepts as well. Draw me ever closer to Your heart each and every day.

Thought for the Day:
Loving God with your whole body, soul and spirit produces a joy-filled life.