Sunday, December 18, 2011

Loving With All of Your Heart

Read: Romans 12:1-2

The man answered, "'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.' And, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"- Luke 10: 27

In his sermon tonight, my pastor husband spoke about how God wants us to love Him. He made his point by using this example:

“I love my wife. I really, really love my wife. I tell her this all the time. I spend as much time with my wife as I can. I enjoy spending time with her and she loves to spend time with me. We do just about everything together.

“Now, what if I told my wife, ‘I really, really love you;’ but then, I did everything I could to avoid spending time with her? What if I fill up my days so full of activities that I barely have a chance to say, ‘Good Morning,’ and ‘Good Night’ to her? Would she believe that I love her? Would she believe that I was devoted to her and that I would do anything to make her happy? Would she let me get away with this type of behavior for very long without saying something to me about it? No woman in her right mind would feel loved without actions to back up the words.

“God wants this same devotion from us. He wants us to spend time with Him, as well as telling Him that we love Him. I meet people who say, ‘Oh, I really, really love the Lord;” but their day is so full of work, running their kids in ever direction at once, and pursuing their own hobbies or watching TV all hours of the day and night, that they never have time to read their Bible, to pray or to come to worship services and church Bible studies and prayer meetings. This makes me wonder just how much they actually love the Lord. How do you think the Lord feels when people act this way?

“If my wife expects me to be a man of my word and to love her in deed, as well as in word; how much more does the Lord expect this same consideration from me? Let us strive to love God not as hearers only, but also as doers of His Word (James 1:22), starting with constant communication with Him throughout the day (1 Thessalonians 5:19).”

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, teach us to pray without ceasing and to follow the leading of Your Spirit every moment of the day. Enable our love for You to spill over into our time with our family and community as well.

Thought for the Day:
God’s love fills in the cracks of our imperfections.