Monday, January 30, 2012

Inadequacies and Failures

Read: 2 Peter 1:5-8

“For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” - 2 Peter 1:8

When it was time to make Saul the King of Israel, the prophet had to consult God in order to find him. Saul hid among the baggage because He was riddled with fears due to his insecurities. These inadequacies also caused him to rule ineffectively as the King. Rather than to trust that God had a purpose for him during his reign, he focused on what he considered his lack of abilities and forgot that God ordained him for this position. He ended up consumed with himself, possessed by evil spirits and crippled with depression.

As a young Christian, I did this too. I remembered negative comments made by significant others in my past, and I fell prey to their destructive influence. I allowed my inadequacies and failures to add to my fear and mistrust, and to influence these derisory feelings flooding my soul. Sometimes, because of these negative experiences and beliefs, I even declined the opportunities God gave me to allow Christ to make a difference in someone’s life through me.

Once I started stepping out of my comfort zone and gaining a bit of confidence, my motives in ministry still reflected my need to earn God’s love. I tried to prove to Him that I was worthy of His calling. I relied on my own talents and knowledge to accomplish God’s will in my life. I failed every time too, or I end up only partially accomplishing what God called me to do. In fact, the negative baggage in my life often hindered me from fully seeing the incredible power of Christ in me working through me.

Over the years of walking in His presence, God cleansed me from the effects of this unconstructive criticism and these past failures. Now, when I make the effort to rely on the unlimited power of Christ in me (Galatians 2:20), my success rate increases dramatically. Instead of depending on myself, I can step aside as the Spirit within me directs my words and deeds. I trust Him to work all things out for my good and the good of those to whom I minister. Empowered by His Spirit, I can do all things, because He lives in me (Philippians 4:13).

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, I thank You for forgiving me when I allowed fear to hinder me from obeying Your will for my life. Thank You for giving me small successes to build up my confidence in Your ability to work through me. Help me to be instant in season and out of season, because the darkness is closing in toward a time when people will no longer endure hearing sound doctrine (2 Timothy 4:2-3).

Thought for the Day:
By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. - 2 Peter 1:3