Thursday, January 19, 2012

Volcanic Anger

Read: Proverbs 15:1-2

"Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.” - Eph 4:26-27 NKJV

I get so frustrated when I say something and people don't pay any attention to me. In the past, I felt like I was walking around with a bag over my head. I resorted to anger to get my point across. I acted like a volcano, bursting forth with a huge eruption and then cooling quickly. The only problem with this is that just as a volcano leaves scars on the earth, I also left scars on human hearts.

There is nothing wrong with feeling angry. God gave us anger as a legitimate emotion to protect us. The problem arises when we use anger inappropriately. I struggled for years, blowing up and then feeling sad that I hurt the people that I love. Several years ago, I learned a simple remedy.

Now I make sure to get the person's undivided attention before speaking. I ascertain all the facts before I form an opinion. I try to understand the other person’s viewpoint. Then, I voice my opinion, feelings or needs. I very rarely ever feel angry any more, because people usually take me seriously. I do not always get my way, but I do always agree with the decision that we ultimately choose.

Prayer:
Lord, remind me that You did not speak to Elijah in the wind, the earthquake or in the fire. Help me to have the incorruptible beauty of a tender and soothing spirit, which is a treasure in Your sight.

Thought for the Day:
The still, small voice still receives the most attention.