Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Surely, God is My Helper

Man Jump

Read: Psalm 46:1-3

“I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.” - Ecclesiastes 9:11

I am so glad that the Lord is close to the brokenhearted. He cares about our soul – our mind, will and emotions - when we are so emotionally wounded that we can barely hold up our head or even take deep breaths. In this world, we will have many troubles – spiritual, mental, emotional, financial and physical, but God promises to deliver us out of them all (Psalm 34:18-19).

God is a refuge for the oppressed, and a stronghold in times of trouble (Psalm 9:9). We can run to Him and be saved.  When we take refuge in Him,He helps us and delivers us from evil (Psalm 37:39-40). We are never alone. No matter what trial befalls us, we can rest assured that someone else has already walked this path before us, and tomorrow someone else will enter into it. God gives us the light of His Word, so that we can use it to illuminate our path, and the path of others who follow after us. We can trust in God at all times, and pour out our heart to Him (Psalm 62:8). The Lord is our sustainer (Psalm 54:4) as we walk through life (James 1:2-4).

I will sing of His strength and His love, because He is my fortress (Psalm 59:16). My salvation and my honor depend on God, and I have nothing to fear. He is my mighty rock (Psalm 62:7). When I call upon Him, He answers me, and makes me bold and stouthearted as I face my enemies (Psalm 138:3).

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, let me not consider myself wise or to boast in my wisdom, strength or riches. I know that the swift will not escape, the strong will not muster their strength, and the warrior will not save his own life. The archer will not stand his ground, the fleet-footed soldier will not get away, and the horseman will not save his own life. It is only in You that we find our safety, our provision, our strength and our salvation.

Thought for the Day:
I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. – Habakkuk 3:18