Thursday, June 28, 2012

White Washed Tombs

Read: Matthew 23:27-28

In my early years as a Christian, while talking with our Associate Pastor’s wife, I concluded a very lengthy monologue. She responded by summarizing my description, “Then what you are telling me is that you are a white washed tomb.” 

A tomb? Me? But…as I reflected on what I just told her, I realized that she described me perfectly. I was a white washed sepulcher (Matthew 23:27-28)!!! 

Although I already repented of my sin and believed in Jesus Christ for my salvation, presently busyness pervaded every moment of my life. These distractions prevented the Holy Spirit from using me as He so desired. I appeared clean on the outside by Jesus’ blood, but actually putrifying sins and attitudes occupied my inner, carnal nature. The horrible fact about this ungodly predicament is that I had absolutely NO idea how to change this situation in my life!

I knew God; yet, I did not know how to be one with Him. For years prior to this day, I spent my time trying very desperately to please God. I knew my eternal Salvation was guaranteed by Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, but I still tried to earn God’s love by my works. I was so active FOR God that I could not squeeze a personal relationship with Him into my busy schedule.

After all, I had three children and a Pastor husband who brought with him the responsibilities of a growing inner city church. Everyone in the family looked to me to match socks, find shoes, and have hot meals on the table three times a day. The phone rang constantly with church members calling for me to quote the price of mushrooms at the grocery store, to head some committee, to start some new program for the church, or to give them counsel on some malady. When did I have time to do more? I never even had time for myself, unless I stayed up late at night, which I often did.

Henry David Thoreau, in his book, Walden, mentions the “mass of men leading lives of quiet desperation.” This quiet desperation threatened to strangle the life from me. I realized that I needed to get serious with this problem, before it got serious with me!

Someone said, “The good things can become the enemy of the best things.” Sometimes we forget that the good we do often robs us of time that we could be doing the best thing. Our goal in life as Christians is to be led by the Holy Spirit moment-by-moment throughout the day. This is the only way to possess ultimate fulfillment and an intimate relationship with the true and living God.
Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank You for caring enough to show me that busyness robbed me of intimacy with You. Thank You for teaching me to spend quality time with You every day and for drawing me closer to Your heart in the process.

Thought for the Day:
Making mistakes is part of living; but thankfully God forgave them all by dying.