Saturday, June 16, 2012

Expressing Negative Emotions

Read: Ephesians 4:21-32

“Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.” - Ephesians 4: 15

In times of tension and miscommunication, God recommends that we are quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger (James 1:19). Anger is actually a God-given emotion used to protect us from injury, not to inflict injury. Anger is a flag to let us know that something is wrong. God cautions us, however, to be slow to express it, and to guard against crossing over into sinful behavior with this possibly volatile emotion (Ephesians 4:26).

The feelings of anger or resentment in our soul inform us that someone else’s behavior is offensive to us. Once we recognize this breach of our boundaries, then we can help the other person to understand that what they just did or said is not acceptable to us. People will behave toward us in the way in which we teach them to treat us. If we allow others to abuse us - verbally, mentally or physically - we are inviting more of that same behavior in the future.

However, we can develop a habit of using premeditated wording to express our feelings, rather than to use hasty, angry words to verbally attack the offending party. Rather than to attack in anger, I learned to say:
“I feel afraid when you …”
“I feel like you spend more time with …. than with me. I need more of your attention.”
“Thank you for your opinion, but I do not agree with you.”
“I will walk away if you say/do that again.”
“I think that you misunderstood the meaning behind my words/actions. Let me further explain to you how I feel (or why I took that action).”

We can learn to stand up for our self without hiding behind fierce anger and coarse words (Ephesians 5:4). In the face of confrontation, I still make it known in no uncertain terms that the offensive behavior is no longer acceptable to me; however, I try to respond with a confident, businesslike and resolute manner. Even in the face of a verbal onslaught, I endeavor to state my feelings more clearly with firm, calm words rather than with angry, irrational ones (Proverbs 15:1).

My husband and I even use a notebook to write out our feelings to one another. This way we do not speak off the top of our head and potentially hurt one another. We also write our positive feelings in our notebook. They are such cherished keepsakes.

Some people may never learn to treat us with respect; and they may never change their behavior towards us. These people are not safe. We need a firm boundary between them and us. It is better to steer a wide path around such people who tend to abuse us, rather than to constantly put our self in harm’s way. When we take a step back and look at their actions from a spiritual frame of mind, we can pray for them and also about our response to them by speaking firmly, but kindly in the face of any imposition from them or any attack against us.

God encourages us to live at peace with everyone (Romans 12:18). We cannot ever control another person’s actions or responses towards us, but we can put distance between an abusive person and us. However, I want to caution you not to overreact and divorce your mate. A separation for the purpose of reconciliation through counseling and calm discussions is far better and more in line with Biblical teaching.
There is no justification for divorce except for sexual immorality, according to Biblical principles (Matthew 19:6; Matthew 5:32).

I also take my hurt feelings to the Lord. He helps me to forgive the offender and to pray for their blessing, whether they ever respond positively to me or not. How they feel about me or what they think of me has no bearing on who I am or on my relationship with my Lord. In reality, His opinion of me is the only one that really matters.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, help me to put away slander, malice, coarse words and explosive anger. Remind me to use positive words to communicate how I feel and how I want to be treated. Let me kindly tell the truth in love, even when it hurts.

Thought for the Day:
“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.” - Proverbs 25:11



(Many thanks to Matt Milligan for the use of his cheerful photo.)