Saturday, June 23, 2012

Worldly Wisdom

Read:
1 Corinthians 1: 20-24

"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."
- 1 Corinthians 1:18

It makes me giggle when I see people on TV who speak as if they are experts on some subject. They pontificate their brand
of philosophy as if they have a market on the truth. However, wise men, scholars and debaters are all proven foolish when their brand of truth is held up against the standard of God’s Word. The Bible trumps the wisdom of the world every time. 

God calls everyone, regardless of their nationality, religion, economic or social status, or financial position, to have a personal relationship with Him and to share with the Saints the glory of heaven. He provides us all with the power and wisdom of God through Jesus Christ. The message of the cross makes no sense to most people, though. They cannot accept that their worldly wisdom is foolishness and that they need the Spirit of God in their lives (1 Corinthians 1:18). 

It is because of God that I am in Christ Jesus. He called me and saved me and redeemed me for eternity. He offers this same opportunity to anyone who will humble him/herself and repent of their sins and allow Him to convert their lives from a sin-filled one to a righteous one. Everyone has an equal opportunity to choose His wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption (1 Corinthians 1:30). 

When I gaze into the sky at the sun, moon and stars, which He set into place in such perfect order; when I see His handiwork in the woods and streams and mountains and plains; when I consider that He numbers the hairs of our head and that He knew us before we were even formed in our mother’s womb, I shed tears of joy and fall on my face in worship of Him.

Prayer:
Lord, the majority of people in the world do not receive Your wisdom, because they consider them fairy tales and myths. They cannot understand them, because Your words must be discerned by Your Spirit. Help us to share Your truth so that others may share your blessing with us, and so that Your Spirit may instruct them and give them the mind of Christ.

Thought for the Day:
My faith does not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:5