Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Wheel of Life

Read: 1 Kings 19:11-12

“You will keep him/her in perfect peace, whose mind is focused on You: because he/she trusts in You.” - Isaiah 26:3

So often I hear people say that God never spoke to them, or that God stopped speaking to them. It may mean we are not listening for His voice, or we allow the cares of this world to block our spiritual ears or we neglected to spend time in His Word and in His presence. Elijah thought God was silent and that he was the only Believer left alive. God showed Elijah that His is a still, small voice and we have to pay attention to hear it (1 Kings 19:11-12). I feel His silence occasionally myself! But I believe that in the quiet times, God is telling us to wait, to trust and to rest in His love. He knows that we will need all of our spiritual strength for the hazards waiting just around the next bend in the river!

I like to picture the “quiet place” (Mark 6:31) within my spirit as the Pilot House of a boat. This enclosed space on the navigating bridge, from which the pilot controls the ship when under way, is where Jesus resides as He manages my life. Each evening before going to sleep, I snuggle in His arms and share my gratitude for all He did for me and mine that day. Then, I lie down in sweet repose and read His Word, finding a scripture to meditate on as I snooze within the folds of my cuddly covers.

Then each morning I re-enter the wheelhouse and sit in awe as I watch my Savior traversing a channel full of hazards. Spring flooding creates rising waters rushing down the narrow, inundated channel, which is clogged by fallen trees and other debris. Even in the best of times, currents, rip tides, submerged rocks and trees, reefs or muddy embankments, narrows along the channel, wind and a myriad of natural obstacles are submerged just beneath the tea colored water threatening my life. All of this creates ongoing peril around nearly every bend. Yet, Jesus is at the helm, keeping me safe through every trial and danger.

Sometime during the day, I sit on the tall counter stool in the wheelhouse, swinging my legs back and forth, chatting away about all of my needs and concerns. I bring to His attention the multitude of people on my prayer list and the needs of my church, family and country. After we chat about my concerns, He often shares with me some tidbit of information I need in order to serve Him during my day, or in the coming weeks. He gives me wisdom I need or counsel on an issue in my life. He calms my fears when I notice a bend up ahead in the river and allow anxiety about the unseen to disturb my peace. At times, we just sit in companionable silence, enjoying the scenery while I soak up the goodness of His presence in my life.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, I do not want to take control of the wheel of my life. I do not want to decide how to traverse the hazards and perils out in front of me. I trust You at the helm. I so enjoy fellowshipping with You as You direct me to do Your will one minute at a time. Your presence in my life keeps me in perfect peace as I keep my eyes on You (Isaiah 26:3).

Thought for the Day:
God is ever-present in our life and is always available to us if we have the patience to be still and know that He is our God.