Thursday, February 23, 2012

Spiritual Toothbrushes

Read: Psalm 112:4-8

“But, O my soul, don't be discouraged. Don't be upset. Expect God to act! For I know that I shall again have plenty of reason to praise him for all that he will do. He is my help! He is my God!” - Ps 42:11 (TLB)

Sometimes, I just cannot help but to grumble about the circumstances in my life. I get hurt or frustrated by them, and I want to take out my giant eraser and expunge them from existence. Oh, if it were only that simple!

At times, when trials and stress overwhelm me, I forget that I am more than a conqueror. I overlook the fact that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. My soul is grieved: my thoughts grow discouraged and my emotions are upset. I do not have the faith to expect God to act on my behalf.

In the midst of one of my gigantic pity parties, I begged God to bring about a change in my particular state of affairs. He made it clear that He could not do that, because He allowed this trial for my particular benefit. God illuminated to me the fact that He actually uses these irritations, wounds and trials in our lives as spiritual toothbrushes, removing the worldly plaque, which would otherwise cause spiritual decay to erode His protective covering over our spiritual life.

God then drew my attention to the Psalms. So many of them chronicle David’s dilemmas, which built Godly character in him. In fact, God used the situations in David’s life so often that David eventually developed into a man after God’s own heart. Paul also learned, through the events in his life, that nothing, not even death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing could ever separate him or us from God’s love (Romans 8:38).

I concluded from this study, that our lifeline throughout our negative circumstances is to remember our enemies will never triumph over us (Psalm 54:7). Jesus told us, He is the vine and we are the branches. He encourages us to abide in Him and He promises He will always abide in us (John 15:4). He reminds us that we are not sufficient by ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God (2 Corinthians 9:8). As we listen to His Spirit moment by moment throughout the day, we have His assurance that all of our circumstances will most definitely work together for our good (Romans 8:28). 

Prayer:
Lord, help me to trust You in my circumstances and to be a vessel of honor for Your use. You are able to do immeasurably more than all I could ever ask or imagine, according to Your power that is at work within me and all around me. Thank You for making all of Your grace abound to me. Help me to follow the leading of Your Spirit in all that I do and say.

Thought for the Day:
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" Mark 9:24