Friday, February 10, 2012

Stable and Secure

Read: Hebrews 1:10-12

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” – Hebrews 13: 8

For my fifth birthday, my Daddy took me to ride the carousel. I grinned with delight at the melodious music, vibrantly painted horses and the metal poles dancing with glittering lights. I climbed upon my valiant stallion full of anticipation and bliss.

Suddenly, the carousel started to move.
The abrupt jolt shocked and terrified me. The horse beneath me started to rise and fall. I almost lost my seating and I heaved in a great breath of air and held it with all my might. I squeezed my eyes shut and wondered why my daddy was being so mean to me. When I could hold my breath no longer, I cried out in horror and grabbed the horse’s neck to keep from falling.

I looked up to call my dad to help me; but he was gone! My panic increased to terror, and I screamed, feeling abandoned. Just then I spied him, still standing by the gate and waving to me with a joyful smile. I started to call out to him, but in an instant the carousel turned and he was gone again.

Of course, my father never moved. I caught glimpses of him now and again, and the sight of him brought me some comfort. I did not enjoy the carousel, though, as my father hoped I would. I clung to the horse’s neck the whole time and I never allowed myself to relax and experience the lilting melody, the pulsating colors and the breeze wisping my hair. When the ride ended I saw my Daddy still standing by the gate with his comforting smile and his hand outstretched toward mine.

Life’s circumstances are like a carousel - appealing at first with its glitz and glitter, but then frightening when things begin spinning out of our control. We accuse our Heavenly Father of abandoning us in these terrorizing experiences. Of course, He never moves (Hebrews 13:5). He is always there, within us.

Even if the mountains disappear and the hills fall flat, His steadfast love shall never stop flowing over us. His compassion and covenant of peace shall always remain with us (Isaiah 5:10). We are the ones who get carried away by insecure moments of life and lose sight of Him. We take our eyes off of Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2), and we focus instead on the insecurity of the circumstances all around us.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, You are the same yesterday, today and forever. When fear rises in our hearts during some daunting experiences in our life, we no longer feel Your presence. You are still there, however, waiting for us to come around full circle and to put our hand in Your nail scarred hand.

Thought for the Day
If we trust our Father, we can relax and actually enjoy the ride!