Friday, February 17, 2012

The Surrendered Soul

Read: Matthew 23: 26-28

“Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother's milk. Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.” - Psalm 131:2

People the world over search for significance from sources that do not satisfy the longing in their soul. Some read volumes of tomes in dusty libraries, seeking for truth. Others travel the world, looking for their soul mate. Fame, fortune and success sidetrack some. Secular philosophies and worldly religions attract many others. But, those who truly desire to find the ultimate Truth realize that their only salvation is found in Jesus Christ. At this moment of revelation, we enter into a union with Christ that is spiritual, intimate and divine.

Through a simple prayer of repentance and dependence, we reach out to the Trinity. God moves in at that very moment and breathes new life into our spirit. We are born again by the Spirit of God. Jesus justifies us through salvation and the Holy Spirit takes up residence in our spirit. Also at that moment, the Holy Spirit brings resurrection life to our soul – our mind, will and emotions; and He walks with us through the life-long journey of sanctifying our soul.

In the process of making us holy, Christ also heals the soul, which is wounded by past experiences. He pours out His unconditional love on the soul starving for affection. He nurtures the soul, which lacks self-worth. He changes the attitude of the soul, which is angry, bitter and unforgiving. Slowly, our doubts, fears, insecurities, self-centeredness, hurt feelings, bitterness and rage diminish as He replaces them with the His fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, meekness, self-control and faith. He also protects the soul from the deceptions and illusions of counterfeit alternatives, which Satan uses to allure us away from God and back toward worldly values driven by satanic influences. 

As a man, Jesus also suffered great turmoil in His soul. This is exemplified on the day prior to His crucifixion. When Jesus faced the cross, He took His closest friends to the garden to pray. He revealed to them His need, “My soul is so deeply grieved that I feel like it is strangling the very life from me. Wait here and pray with me” (Matthew 26: 38, paraphrased).

As the passion of his soul-wrenching prayer intensified, his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground (Luke 22:44). He prayed for several hours, until He could surrender His desires to His Father’s will (Luke 22:42). Then as He focused on the joy set before him in heaven, He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and eventually sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2).

In laying down His life, Jesus raised our spirit, soul and body from the mire of sin. His ultimate desire is to possess us as a Bridegroom embracing His bride. Daily, He increases our spiritual awareness and our life blossoms from the inside out. The life and spirit of the Word become engrained in our soul (Jeremiah 15:16 and I Peter 2:2) and we walk in holiness as we follow His Spirit moment by moment throughout the day.

God is a peaceful Lord over our soul. He woos us as the Lover in the Song of Solomon. He calls us into a deeper personal relationship with Himself until we change our focus from worldly pursuits to His eternal quest. He transforms our natural mind with the mind of Christ (Philippians 2:5). Eventually, carnality sickens us as much as it does the Lord. We no longer desire to do anything except what pleases Him. We yield our desires more and more to His will. We relinquish to Him all the power over our life. We do this, not in painful submission, but in the joy-filled surrender of our soul.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, bring joy to Your servant, for to You, O Lord, do I lift up my soul (Psalm 86:4). Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way in which I should go, for to You I lift up my soul (Psalm 143:8). I shall love the Lord my God with all my heart, with all my soul, with my entire mind, and with all my strength (Mark 12:30).

Thought for the Day:
The first man, Adam, became a living soul. The last Adam, Jesus, became a life-giving spirit. - 1 Corinthians 15: 45