Friday, February 3, 2012

Who Loves You?

Read: 1 John 4:8-11

“Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.” - Psalm 51:10-12

God is head over heals in love with you. God’s love is a spiritual, physical, mental and emotional “high”. Human love is merely a shadow of His love. The natural order of the universe proves to us that God loves us. If the earth’s axis tilted a degree in any direction, if the stars fell from the sky, if a large solar storm erupted on the sun, if the oceans exceeded their boundaries, if animals no longer had an innate fear of man, if all the molten lava in the earth erupted at once, we would all die. God’s hand, keeping the earth in perfect balance, keeps us all living and breathing and existing on planet earth.

Jesus loves you more than a pearl of great price (Matthew 13:45). He sold all He had, relinquished his kingly status, forsook the glories of heaven, and for 33 whole years he lived on this earth. Then, at the peak of His manhood, He purchased us back from Satan for the Father by suffering the horrendous death on Calvary’s Cross. He gave His life so that you and I could live as God's adopted children, joint heirs with Jesus to receive all that the Father owns. God actually chose you, as He chose me, and adopted you to be His beloved child.  

With God’s love, we do not need another person in our life in order to feel loved, affirmed and validated. In fact, God proved His love for us by sending His one and only Son into the world so that we might live eternally through Him. This is real, authentic love: we did not earn or deserve God’s love, but He loved us first and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

God constantly draws my attention to the fact that He is touching me with evidences of His love through a variety of means. He reveals His love in a bird’s outstretched wings, in a perfect rose, in the lady bug landing on my arm, in a double rainbow, in the flower growing through a crack in the sidewalk, in the shapes of the clouds, in the waves of the sea, in the seasons of the year, in the red cardinal or bluebird chirping through my open window, in the snow of the winter, in the cool breeze and the gentle rain of spring and in the warm sunshine of summer. All through the day, I have learned to watch for the unexpected ways that God tells me, "I love you!"

Escaping a devistating calamity is another occassion when we feel the love of God. When we see His hand protecting us from sudden and sure destruction and danger, our hearts swell with incredible gratitude and love for God. To realize that God actually intervened for you makes you feel so precious, cared about and loved. At times like these we feel His love surrounding us and keeping us safe.

When my heart is open to God’s love, I can feel it pouring over me like a waterfall. I am drenched with His love. Even the cells in my body are full of His love. I feel like I am wrapped in a soft, fluffy blanket of love. God’s love gives me such a sense of security. Unsurpassed peace and joy flood my soul – my mind, my will and my emotions. His love flows through me and out of me to everyone He brings into contact with me.

God gives us the gift of new life each and every day. Just waking up is proof that He loves us. We often take for granted things like air to breath and eyes to see; but each of these small miracles is evidence to us that God loves us. All through the day, He sends people, events and natural wonders to bless us.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank you for giving Your life on the cross as a ransom to pay the debts we owe. Help us to walk worthy of Your love as we live in Your Spirit.

Thought for the Day:
God spends every second of His time showering us with abundant love.

(PS. What if you do not feel God's love? Stay tuned for the next blog.)