Tuesday, May 12, 2020

The Rocky Road to Peace


boulder cascade creek environment



Today I was listening to my nature music with sounds of a gurgling brook in the background. As I absently dusted the living room, I visualized myself sitting next to that gurgling stream, with the slight breeze tickling my arm with wildflowers, and butterflies swirling overhead.

As I moved into the bedrooms with my Swiffer duster, I changed scenes in my mind and pictured myself in a raft, lazily drifting with the current along the scenic view of that same waterway. I felt so much peace and tranquility fill my soul.

I started to sing praises to God along with the instrumental music, and I thanked Him for giving us nature to enjoy. After putting the duster away, I snuggled into my recliner with the music still playing gently in the background.

I sat quietly, listening for the Lord. God reminded me that most streams have rocks and even boulders in them that the water must traverse around; yet, the water continues to flow, unhindered by these obstacles.

He also reminded me that our life usually has obstacles in it too; and if we allow them to, they will impede our progress. However, as we rest in Jesus, who is our eternal Living Water, we will drift smoothly around every hindrance in life.

Prayer:
Father God, remind us that we will not only experience Your peace and joy ourselves, but we will also share our tranquility with everyone You lead into our life. We all enter Your rest by resisting the urge to attempt to control life, and by completely trusting in You and Your will for us instead.

In this world, we get mighty thirsty for truth, wisdom, and power. Jesus told us that we can come to Him to quench this thirst, and then out of our heart will flow rivers of living water (John 7:37-38). We ask for a fresh filling of Your Holy Spirit with each new day, so that we can accomplish Your will for us in it (Genesis 41:38).

Thought for the Day:
"Knowing God" does not involve religious activity or pious attitudes, it is simply abiding in Him; therefore, we can make a commitment to change the world around us, one life at a time; and with joy, we will draw water from the well of our salvation.
- Isaiah 12:3; John 17:3