Thursday, November 17, 2011

God's Encouragement and Direction

Read: 1 Kings 19:5-12
“Be still, and know that I am God.” - Psalm 46:10 (NKJV)

God showed great understanding and mercy by sending an angel to comfort Elijah when he ran from Jezebel’s wrath. In his moment of deepest despair, Elijah found comfort in the angel’s presence and strength from the angels provision of food, which was already prepared for him to eat. This helped Elijah on his following journey of forty days through the desert to the mountain where Moses received the Ten Commandments.


Elijah witnessed a great miracle by God, yet he still fell prey to feelings of depression and abandonment. He actually believed he was not able to make a difference in the lives of God’s people. God met him on this mountain, however. Not in the way that Elijah imagined, but in a still, small voice.

I sometimes feel helpless in my daily walk with the Lord. However, I need to realize that in order for Him to use me, my self-sufficiency must decrease, so that He can increase in my life. When I lay aside my busy schedule and go to the solitary place to seek Him, He always encourages me and gives me clear direction. As I sit in His presence, He robes me with His strength to carry out whatever ministry He lays before me. This is when I can shine for His glory.

Prayer:
Lord, help me to live as an instrument of Your love in the world around me. Strengthen me each day to do Your will, and remind me that You use only vessels fashioned by Your hand.

Thought for the Day:
Set aside daily, quiet, undisturbed time, in which to enter into the presence of God in order to worship Him and to listen for His guidance.