Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Word Fitly Spoken

Read: 1 John 4:1-6

Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about.” - Phil 4:8 (TLB)

At the risk of sounding like a schizophrenic, if you ever held a conversation with your “Inner Self”, you know we possess at least two separate identities within our soul! Many Psychologists call this alter ego the “Inner Child.” The Bible uses the word “psuche,” or soul, in many verses with a variety of meanings.


The “Inner Child” is often rebellious, binges, curses, gets us into trouble and sabotages many things that we try to accomplish with our life. This part of our soul – our mind, will and emotions - needs sanctification. For instance, God taught me to express the feelings in my soul with logical words rather than to curse irrationally at the person hurting me.

I persuaded my Inner Child not to use profanity, but instead to express how the behavior made me feel. As an alternative I say, “That behavior really hurt my feelings and I want to strike back at you in anger right now.” This opens the door for dialogue between the offender and me, and allows us to solve issues. It also helps to clarify the intent behind the behavior and I often realize that I took it the wrong way.

I have to constantly remind my “Inner Child” to use my words to express how I feel rather than to verbally attack the offending party. I also remind her to take any hurt feelings to the Lord and to forgive the offender and to bless them whether they ever change or not.

Prayer ~ Lord, help me to use my words to kindly tell the truth, even when it hurts.

Thought for the Day ~  “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.” Prov 25:11 NKJV