Monday, November 21, 2011

Unreserved Forgiveness

Read: Hebrews 12:14-15  

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you." - Ephesians 4:32

When someone hurts me, I want to strike back. I often struggle to forgive the offense, until I remember that forgiving does not have to include forgetting. The memory of the painful affront may linger in my heart, but I can still make a conscious decision to absolve the offender, just as God readily forgives my sins against Him. Whether the assault is a major event such as rape or physical violence, or if it consists of less abusive, habitual impositions such as lies and betrayal, we can still forgive.

Even though we should erect boundaries to keep ourselves safe from continued abusers, forgiveness means to pray for those who hurt us and to show them kindness (Matthew 5:44). We can only do this through God's love for them, which dwells in us. It is only by sincerely wishing them the best, that our healing is complete.

Prayer:
Lord, make me a vessel of Your peace; when I am reviled, help me to bless; when I am wounded, help me to forgive the offender.

Thought for the Day:
Bitterness is a boomerang that harms no one but me.