Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Rejoice Forevermore

 Two Man Hiking on Snow Mountain

 

I used to think that if I rejoiced in my negative circumstances that I was not being honest with my true feelings. I did not want to pretend to feel the opposite of how I really felt. Yet, Paul admonishes us to rejoice in our tribulation (Romans 5:3). I could not figure out how to express joy without pretending an emotion, which I did not truly feel.

 

It took a major trial in my life to teach me the key to rejoicing always (Philippians 4:4). After 22 years, the love of my life decided that he could no longer live with my Italian emotionalism. A wall of constant misunderstandings stood between us, so he determined that there was no option for us but divorce. To say that I was shocked is an understatement; yet, I did not want to live where I was not loved.

 

In the ensuing years, God taught me to be thankful even for these overwhelming negative circumstances, to rejoice in His hope, to have faith in His faithfulness, to wait on His timing and will, to be patient through every ordeal, and to pray without ceasing (Romans 12:12). He instructed me to focus on the moment, rather than feeling depressed over the past and fearing the future. 

 

I discovered that God is the only true anchor of my soul, and I would always dwell in the inner sanctuary of His Temple, regardless of my marital status and the earthly success of my life (Hebrews 6:19). I experienced the truth that nothing could ever snatch me out of God's hand, and that I would always enjoy total security in His love (John 10:29). Now, those are real reasons to rejoice forevermore (1 Thessalonians 5:16-28).

 

Since then, I started looking at every trial as having a seed for a miracle, which is just waiting to sprout. I know there are situations more devastating than the loss of a mate; but I am convinced that Jesus, the Lover of my soul who saw me through that time in my life, will enable me to honestly rejoice through any future negative circumstance, large or small (Matthew 11:28; Psalm 23). 

 

Prayer:

Father God, You have a divine purpose for everything that happens to Your children. Thank You for teaching me to trust You regardless of how negatively my circumstances develop. You filled me with Your presence through every moment of that former nightmare, and You guided me by Your Spirit in all my ways (Romans 8:14; Proverbs 3:5-6). Although I still grieve over the dissolution of my family unit, You restored my ministry as a pastor's wife and You gave me a new husband who gives me more love than I ever imagined was possible on this side of heaven. 

 

I want to be a witness for the Gospel of Christ in every circumstance I face. I do not want anyone to spend eternity in the torment of hell if I can in any way influence their faith in Jesus Christ. Thank You for giving me the attitude that I never meet a stranger, only potential friends with whom I can dwell in everlasting life along with Jesus as our Beloved Savior and friend and coheir to Your Kingdom. You always care for Your children, and I am so thankful to abide as one of them. 

 

Thought for the Day:

As an authentic Born Again Believer, there is no negative circumstance in our life that God is not orchestrating for our good. He has plans to bless us and to prosper us in spirit, soul, and body. Let us take every opportunity all day long to be a friend in order to win a soul to everlasting life.

- Romans 8:28; Jeremiah 29:11