Monday, February 21, 2022

Why is This Happening?

Close-Up Photograph of a Dahlia Flower with White and Purple Petals

 

We often doubt our self when we go through some form of tribulation. We think that God is punishing us or failing to protect us. Sometimes, tribulation comes as a result of us reaping the consequences of our choices. At other times, it is because we are so busy working for God that He cannot work in and through us, and He is attempting to gain our attention and increase our intimacy with Him, His timing, and His ways. 

 

The key to success in tribulation is to learn to seek God’s guidance through it, to rejoice regardless of the situation, to look for God’s little hugs that He provides throughout the day, and to hide under the shelter of His wings (Psalm 61:4). At times, blind faith is all that gets us through the murky waters of life. Reading God’s Word always provides stability and hope for us regardless of our circumstances. 

 

For instance, my former husband of twenty-two years told me that he saw no option for us but divorce, and he sold our home and struck out into the great unknown to seek his place in life. This threw me into immediate turmoil. I had to relocate, find several jobs to support myself, and wonder where God was in the midst of all the insecurity and chaos. 

 

I knew that God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16; Matthew 19:9); and I married a Christian Pastor, so why was this happening to me? God immediately started to provide for me. Taking me back to my supportive natural family, God put it in their hearts to take me under their wings. He healed my soul by opening the door at a Montessori training school and divorce recovery programs at two separate local churches. 

 

He introduced me to women friends going through similar circumstances. Confirming to me that He intended to provide for me and not to injure me, He gave me hope for my uncertain future (Jeremiah 29:11). Two years later, I met and married another Pastor whose wife had divorced him. We have been married now for over 25 years. God restored our ministries and gave us unconditional love through His presence in each other.

 

Prayer:

Father God, You always calm the storms for all Your children. You use tribulation in our life to perfect us and to prove Your faithfulness to us. We do not always understand why. That is the reason it is called faith. The wondrous thing about faith is we do not have to understand why...it just is; and You always work out every trial for our eventual good, even if we never comprehend the reasons (Romans 8:28). 

 

You love us enough to sacrifice Your Son on our behalf (John 3:16). You never leave us or forsake us (Hebrew 13:4-6). At times, You must discipline us for our errant behavior, or to prod us back on Your chosen path for us, but simply because You love us. It may be painful for a little while, but it all brings about in us Your peaceable fruit of righteousness (Hebrews 12:11). 

 

Thoughts for the Day:

The Bible gives us many examples of hope in tribulation. Even while obeying Jesus’ directives, the disciples often found themselves in turmoil. One time, they floundered in an angry sea and prepared to meet their death. When their hope ebbed, Jesus walked out to them on the water and calmed the storm. The disciples realized that Jesus truly was the Son of God. Jesus came to them at just the right moment. Tribulation is our opportunity to grow deeper in our faith, love, union, and devotion to God. 

- Mathew 14:22; Mark 6:48; Matthew 14:33; Hebrews 12:6-7