Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How to Make a Lasting Difference

Read: Luke 10:38-42

“Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” - 1 Corinthians 10:31-32

The story of creation proves to me that God intended for us to live in paradise. Instead, mankind chose to exalt himself as equal to God and ended up in this pain-filled earth. God’s Spirit within us, however, makes life in this sin-filled world, not only bearable but also victorious. We only need to accept God’s complete forgiveness and relinquish our will to His in order to make a lasting difference in our life and in the world around us.

Mary realized this truth and she relinquished her need to control her environment and chose to sit at Jesus feet. Martha, on the other hand, had to be in control to impress Jesus with her efforts. Busyness often causes mental breakdowns and emotional wounds. As we simplify our lives and walk in the Spirit, however, we end up doing only those activities, which God’s Spirit leads us to do. We accomplish only what God calls us to do each moment of the day. We have a much less busy schedule and the positive results of our efforts are much greater.

Prayer:
Lord, teach me to adjust my priorities and eliminate busyness, which needlessly contaminates my thoughts and clutters up my time. Help me to find my fulfillment in You, so that I have no need to participate in worldly pursuits.

Thought for the Day:
Though many things may seem important, only God’s will is necessary.