Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Least of These

Read: Judges 6&7

“And the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are...” – 1 Corinthians 1:28

The Bible constantly chronicles God’s method of choosing the weak to prove His strength. During the Midianite oppression of Israel, God chose to use Gideon to deliver His people. Scholars tell us that Gideon came from the weakest clan in Manasseh and was the least in his family.

Gideon struggled with God’s call and wavered in his faith. He used an animal’s fleece as a sign, which God miraculously kept wet or dry according to Gideon’s prayer. God did not want Gideon to take credit for the victory against the Midianites. Therefore, before the fighting even began, God used a series of tests and dwindled Gideon’s army down to just three hundred men.

Then, God’s Spirit came upon Gideon and gave him a plan to deliver God’s people. In the midst of all of the bright lights and trumpet blasts, God confused the Midianite army. They ended up warring against one another. Even though the Israelites were outnumbered and had no weapons of war, they won the battle anyway.

When I remember the oppressive circumstances, which make up my past, I recall frequently feeling that they were impossible to overcome. I lost courage so often. I begged God for signs to pump up my faith, just like Gideon did with his fleece. From my years as a new Believer to those now as a veteran child of the King, I can testify with certainty that God always works all things out for my good (Romans 8:28). He will undoubtedly do the same for you, if you will courageously surrender the control of your life to Him, and dare to trust Him with the outcome.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, never let us put our confidence in the multitude of our chariots and in the greatness of our horsemen, but let us always look to You to deliver us (Isaiah 31:1). Remind us that You are faithful to Your children and that You use even the worst of circumstances for our good.

Thought for the Day
When I am my weakest, He is the strongest (2 Corinthians 12:10); and He uses me the most.