Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Rocky Road to Peace


Read: John 4: 10-14

“Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."  - John 7:37-38

Today I was listening to my nature music with sounds of a gurgling brook in the background. As I absently dusted the living room with my feather duster, I visualized myself sitting next to that gurgling stream, with wildflowers tickling my arm in the slight breeze and butterflies swirling overhead.

As I moved into the bedrooms with the duster, I changed scenes in my mind and pictured myself in a raft, lazily drifting with the current along the scenic view of that same rivulet. I felt so much peace and tranquility fill my soul. I started to sing praises to God along with the instrumental music and I thanked Him for giving us nature to enjoy. 

After putting the feather duster away, I snuggled into my recliner with the music still playing gently in the background. I sat quietly, listening for the Lord. God reminded me that most streams have rocks and even boulders in them that the water must traverse around!!! Yet, the water continues to flow unhindered by these obstacles. He reminded me that our life also has obstacles in it; and if we allow them to, they will impede our progress.

However, as we rest in Jesus, who is our eternal, Living Water, we will drift smoothly around every hindrance in life. We will not only experience peace and joy ourselves, but we will also share our tranquility with everyone God leads to come rest by our side!

PRAYER
Lord, give us a fresh filling of Your Holy Spirit with each new day (Genesis 41:38). Allow Your Living Water to fill our souls with refreshment and give us peace, not as the world gives; but that peace, which circumvents every obstacle in life.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. - Isaiah 12:3