Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Transforming Martha-moments into Mary-miracles

Read: Luke 10:38-42

“My soul waits for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.”  - Psalm 130:6

As a pastor’s wife and mother of three children, I raced through a life full of ministry opportunities. As each day progressed, I went from one Martha-moment of service to another. I cared for my immediate family, as well as my extended family, my church family, my neighbors, my community and my friends around the world.

But at night, when the house settled down, the chores were done, the phone stopped ringing and everyone else slept, my disposition transformed from Martha to Mary. It is in these night watches that I experience the miracle of His presence within me. I enjoy these times, even now that my children are grown and my responsibilities are greatly diminished.

I am still. I take the time to sit at Jesus’ feet. I thank Him for air to breathe, for our daily bread, for flowers that beautify my path and for our blessings in spite of living in a sin-cursed world. I praise Him for being Lord of the universe, as well as my Strong Tower when I am afraid and my Refuge on stormy days. His love cascades over my soul like a waterfall. I find my comfort under the shadow of His wings.

I absorb the ministry from His Spirit, drinking in the true peace and joy that only He can provide. My spirit melds with His Holy Spirit as I receive direction and wisdom for my personal guidance. I experience the Mary-miracles, which can only come from a personal relationship with the Living Lord of the universe. His encouragement refreshes my spirit and prepares me for the next day in my role as Martha.

Then, during the first few hours after midnight, I give in to silent slumber. I am already centered in Him, with my spirit totally focused on Him, even as I sleep. Rising eight hours later, I seek His will for my first efforts of the morning. Then I proceed throughout the day, listening moment by moment to His Spirit’s direction for each task, which He leads me to accomplish during my Martha-moments.

At times, my duties pull me in several directions at once, but His Spirit always tells me what to do and in what order to accomplish them. Satan’s penchant for distracting me from doing the Lord’s will (Psalm 5:8) is tempting; but I surrender instead to God’s plan for my day. As Mary, I already prepared my spirit, soul and body for this new day. As Martha, I find fulfillment in the path He chose for me before the foundation of time (Romans 8:29).

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank You for being my center, my rock and my shield; but most of all, thank You for being my Savior. Thank You for meeting with me in the night watches and for leading me by Your Spirit moment by moment throughout the day.
 
Thought For The Day:
Stay centered on the true reality of life by focusing on Jesus and His Word.